ABS light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thing
My Cars:

ABS light

Post by thing »

My ABS light on the dashboard comes on once a while recently. What does this mean??
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The most likely cause of the ABS light coming on is that the lead to one of your brrake sensors is failing. What happened to mine was that the outer cover perished and the moisture corroded the screening of the co-ax cable.
Now the fun will begin - how do you find which one is at fault. I used a radio with a separate amplifier input and made up a lead to connect this to the wheel sensors. I then connect one, turn on my radio and drive round listening for interruptions and crackles. The sensor produced a moaning sound which increases with speed, and is affected by bumps to a surprising extent.
The proper kit is an oscilloscope. You may be able to find the break using a multimeter on resistance setting and seeing if it flickers when you bend the lead.
having found the defective lead you can if you are brave repair it by SOLDERING in very carefully a section of flexible co-ax cable (not TV ariel cable as it has a solid core) My rear ones on my BX are fine but my front one seems to flex excessively and breaks after about 18 months.
Jeremy