Price of Veg Oil!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Price of Veg Oil!!!

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

Doing my usual shop in Tesco last night & nearly had a canary when I saw the price of veg oil. Last week it was £1.67 for 3litres & last night it was £1.98!!

Is this a knock on from the Northern Rock? Wet summer? Disastrous England performances in cricket & rugby (had to get that in somewhere, arf, arf)?

I'm guessing the prices are up in other outlets too. Anyone else got any further info? This will rip the fun out of SVO motoring if the price goes up any more. Outrageous etc..

:evil: :evil:
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Tempt 2 Estate.
Had an M reg long ago as co. car & been curious about owning again ever since.
What have I done????
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I expected as much. Only in the last few months did they reduce the price - and that was only at my nearest supermarket. The second nearest didn't follow until two weeks ago.

I guess as more people use SVO as an alternative fuel the price will escalate regardless of true cost. While £1.98 is still a massive saving over diesel, I expect that saving to diminish greatly over time.

I'll let you know how much I pay on next fill up. Hopefully some time today.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

thats not cheap at all :( Find a local sainsburys and get the 2 litre tubs of corn oil for £1.05 each :D
slim123

Post by slim123 »

During a recent trip out I ventured into a Somerfields store, they had there own brand cooking oil in 1 liter bottles at 39p per liter buy one get one free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say I bought the lot.

The till girl did give me a funny look, especially when I asked if they had any more out the back because my fat children love to drink it. :twisted:

Regards
Slim.
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

because my fat children love to drink it
hehehehehee fantastic :lol:
Golf 55' 1.9TD
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I didn't bother going to tesco's, went to somerfields but they weren't offering two for one and their price wasn't 39ppl so went to sainsbury's and bought 15 x 2litres of corn oil at £1.05 each. I like the way the bottles fit snuggly into the filler neck but they take soooooooo long to empty.

Thanks for the heads-up lads.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Have a screwdriver on hand and jab a hole in the top, they soon empty that way :D

Also try taking about 20-30 at a time when you are there or the faces of people as you fill a trolley with it and then skip to the 10 items or less lane and say, 25 of these please :)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Good idea to puncture them.

I cleared the shelf, 15 was all they had and sure enough. sweet lady at the till just had to ask "what do you want 15 of those for?" I said "I want 30 but that's all you had"
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I noticed our local Tesco had very few big bottles on the shelf this evening :o

It's either supply and demand (which may also be inflating the price, being a good money-spinner for them) or perhaps they put out only a few as a deterrent to people buying up lots for automotive use :? Xac might have been there though, he lives close by :lol:

Our local Tesco also sell big (20L?) metal drums of some other sort of cooking oil in the exotic foods section. I think it was some sort of corn oil for around £12 if I recall. Anyone tried that rather than the smaller plastic bottles?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Tesco's do 15L KTC veg oil drums for around the same price as 20L ones from Costco.
I've recently changed from Costco to Tesco simply because it's a bit thinner and easier to fill, and the price was pretty much the same, but if they've put their price up, I'll go back to Costco.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

slim123 wrote:The till girl did give me a funny look, especially when I asked if they had any more out the back because my fat children love to drink it. :twisted:

Regards
Slim.
Home alone, I laughed out loud. :lol: :lol: :lol:
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Tempt 2 Estate.
Had an M reg long ago as co. car & been curious about owning again ever since.
What have I done????
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Got 4 x 3 litres from Asda last night still £1.67...
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I had cause to return to sainsbury's and noticed they hadn't replenished the corn oil shelf I emptied last night. I also noticed it's cheaper to buy ownbrand SVO in 1L bottles than it is in 3L bottles :?

Also on the radio they had a news item about "homebrew" WVO and the guy they interviewed calculated it to be 25p per litre to make but didn't say how much time he needs to invest in collecting and making it. The report went on to say that the government want farmers to grow non-food grade rapeseed for fuel use - so you can see what's coming next....
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Ok chaps here goes, now keep things very simple for me please.

My BIL has the 96' P-Reg 1.9TD SX Xantia.

Can he start pouring in vegetable oil straight away?
Im aware that a particular pump allows it, how do i know which one he has?
What are the legal implications of him chucking some in?
Any other associated problems?
Golf 55' 1.9TD
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Well here is the link to where I took my info.

This seems to have come about thanks to lots of people sending in tax returns on a weekly basis to overload the system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/w ... 288920.stm

It does state that if you use less than 2500 litres per year then there is no tax to declare, but it is a bit of a grey area as to if this is used or new cooking oil.

From reading it states that garden shed producers can use it??? Well I take it that if I buy cooking oil and diesel, mix it myself and then pour it into the tank, I am a garden shed producer.

In fact I use the method of buying cooking oil whenever I see it at the right price and keeping it "in stock" then I use roughly 50/50 mix with diesel, no modifications are needed to any of our cars and I realy do think that they run more mpg when cooking oil is in use as it seems to last longer, but this may not be true as I do not keep records of mpg etc (too busy)

My Xantia estate passed it's MOT yesterday and the MOT chap said that it smelt a bit funny but the emmision test was very low.

I have had experience of 2 x cars (not mine) with cooking oil in use at about 85% both suffering siezed fuel pumps one was an AX and the other a Fiat van (citroen engine) On both occasions these happened after the car was left for 2 weeks whilst the owner was away on holiday, so as a caution if I am leaving the car for more than a week without use, I make sure that I run very low on fuel first and top up with some fresh diesel, just in case there is something in this.

I would say that a 50/50 mix is fine and some people I know use about 75 - 90% cooking oil with no troubles, so I would say "go for it" it's cheap motoring, but without the getting one over on the tax man bit, it's not as much fun though.

Regards
Slim