Hard to believe but the C5 is six and a half years old now!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

Hard to believe but the C5 is six and a half years old now!

Post by bencowell »

The earliest Y reg C5's are now 6 1/2!.

Doesn't time fly?
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

It does if you own a XANTIA :cry:

Maybe one day someone on here will give me theirs for free.
Golf 55' 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

So the youngest Xantia is 6 and a half whilst the oldest is now 14. Seems like only yesterday the tears that flowed amongst caravan folk when the BX was discontinued.

The Xantia is not doing so badly when you consider just how many L, M and N plates you still see running around and just how good they still look, both to the eye and condition-wise. Comparing, how many of the opposition do you still see running around? It is ages since I saw a good L or M plate Mondy or Chavalier/Reptra whereas good L and M plate Xantias are two-a-penny round here.

It'll be interesting to see how a 14 year old C5 looks. Judging by the electronic "fun" I see going on with them on here, I don't rate their chances very highly of many seeing their tenth birthday :( Mez, you might get one given to you sooner than you might think :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

I truely hope so. :D
Golf 55' 1.9TD
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Alex Salmond has been talking about taking Scotland Green and reducing reliance on fossil fuels.
Maybe we should lobby him to get a Scottish car manufacturer to make Xantias with XUD9TE's in them under licence to run off veg? :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

If you want a car that will last a long time then you cant go far wrong with a Xantia. Mine had a very hard life (for a car with 112K OTC) before I bought it, but after 2 1/2 years its starting to take shape -

So, a Xantia is quite a good buy on the S/hand market, especially if you like tinkering with cars!

All the best - Craig.
Last edited by Sturdybloke on 17 Sep 2007, 08:52, edited 2 times in total.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I don't think the build quality of the C5 is as good as the Xantia. Our one seems tinnier and there is surface rust on the tailgate already.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

My L reg Xantia 1.9TD is just coming up to 340,000 miles. It has just passed its MOT first time (as it has done every time with no problems). Emissions are around 1.
No rust. Engine running as smooth as ever.
Major replacements over the years are 1 clutch, 2 exhaust systems, Strut tops, Rear Radius arm bearings, hydraulic pump and several "rounds " of suspension spheres and brake discs. Apart from that just change the oil and filter every 6k.

Passed it on to one of my sons two years ago and I am now running a 2.2HDI C5 Exclusive early 2002, now at 100k (cam belt just changed). No problems over the two years apart from the rear calipers !!! The "improved" design with locktite on the bolts turned what is a half an hour a side job on the xantia into a replace the calipers because the bolts won't come out. Still next time will be ok as the new bolts don't have locktitie on their shanks !!

I prefer the C5, the performance, ride and handling are all I think better than the Xantia. The car is also much, much quieter and the seats suit me better. Fuel consumption about the same, around 43 to 46 per gallon.

Regards

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Craig,

That's a real early MK1 you've got there, the twin of mine. Is it a proper sinking Xantia?

I still think they're the best looking. Chevrons on the bonnet is somehow the right place for them :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

reblack68 wrote:I don't think the build quality of the C5 is as good as the Xantia. Our one seems tinnier and there is surface rust on the tailgate already.
I think the build quality is slightly better whilst the electrics are def. more reliable from my exper........

...no I'm not going to tempt fate.

The C5 is crap, the Xantia is fantastic :lol:
rolphy1975
My Cars:

Post by rolphy1975 »

i have owned two xantias, one was a 1995 1.9td sx which i managed to wipe out an electricity pole with then after hitting the pole it decided to roll 2.5 times in feb of 2004, and because it saved my bacon i got another one but this was a black 1993 1.9td lx with 145000 on the clock. i sold that in feb of this year with 175000 on the clock and no major mechanical probs for the duration of our time together and yes for an old car it was in excellent condition with no rust or oil leaks and still looked good on 5 spoke alloys. My father owns a 2002 C5 2.2 hdi which is lovely to drive but at the end of the day it isnt a xantia! (he still has a 1.9 td sx xantia estate on a 'p' plate for work though!
megane 1.6e rt 1998
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Over this side of the pond, it's hard to draw a comparison due to the small market, but worthy of note seems to be that Xantia prices have floated up and down for a while and now seem to have stabilised, the C5 is a strange kettle of fish, with resale prices on near new cars seemingly in free fall possibly due to the importers seemingly having a permanent discount on "new" cars as demos.
Of the C5s we have found the V6 is the cheapest to buy as a used car, the diesel the most expensive in later models but cheaper in the earlier ones and the 2.0i 16 valve version seemingly holding prices based on miles and condition.
The strangest phenomena of all is the old BX which seems to be on an upward spiral as regards resale prices, which may be due to the fact that there's not all that many left around here or because people are looking for something with all the features without the high tech electronics, but a 1.6 Trs auto was advertised last week for just under A$4000 which when you consider that I've seen people battling to sell them for A$500 over the past 12 months has to make you wonder.
At present, there'd be lucky to be around half a dozen BXs for sale Australia wide.
Another 12 months could see it bit of a shakeout in resales by looks of things.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

citrojim wrote:Craig,

That's a real early MK1 you've got there, the twin of mine. Is it a proper sinking Xantia?

I still think they're the best looking. Chevrons on the bonnet is somehow the right place for them :)
Alright Jim,
Its a proper sinking Xantia alright, and whats more strange about it is that it was first registered in Swansea (first owner in Brynamman hence the Swansea tag - WN) then after a couple of years it moved up north between Wrexham and Runcorn and then back to Swansea. About 10 years ago a couple up the road (about two mins walk from me, uncanny :shock: ) use to own it then it got passed on through a couple of auctions, then a couple out in the country 15 miles away bought it (about 3 years) then I bought it early 2005

Although we have talked about it before the "optional" airbag can (and will) cause headaches with spare parts front.

The chevrons on the bonnet are the best looking as you say. I'm sure that mine and your (Sx TD) are twins seperated at birth :lol: :lol:

Im having grief with the M.O.t ATM, as I am sure that you have read about :roll: :evil: :lol: :lol:
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Yes a sinking mark 1 with chevrons on the bonnet.

First reg April 94.

John