Extra bolts in kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Extra bolts in kit

Post by MikeT »

Citroen part number 179874 is the kit I ordered but I seem to have four bolts (16) while I can only see two in the diag. Two bolts look polished (stainless steel?) while the others look dull. The polished ones are slightly longer in length and shank otherwise exactly the same.

Citrojim told me they can be difficult to fit, having to pretension against the springs to get the nuts on so I'm thinking maybe, use the longer bolts and after an initial period of bedding in, the shorter bolts replace the longer ones? But why the difference in metal? :?

Also, there are two washers (17) that are flat on one side and rounded on the other. Would they be fitted flat side up against the clamping brakcet or flat side down against the spring (D)?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

these kits usualy cover several modles, its best to use the same length as it had, i put a trolly jack under the down pipe to hold it right up tight to the manifold, then there is no problem statting the nuts off, then you wind the nuts up till they contact the shoulder, these nuts are locking nuts(not nylock), there should be two cup and two fiber washers, the cups ones go at the nut end of the spring cupping the spring, and i usualy leave the fiber ones out
regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Malcolm :D

Any reason you prefer not to use the washers (they seem to be metal but I'll take your word for it they're fibre)?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i leave them out because they usualy make it harder to get the nuts started, these washers usualy have a sooth surface one side and the side with rounded edges has like a perferated surface and are ment to absourb the heat
regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I see. The washers I have are smooth and partly-perforated both sides but they look like shiny metal or foil, maybe they've been improved/revised.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated Malcolm.