Peugeot 306 Diesel Engine Non - turbo (Water in Fuel Damage)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcdreamer

Peugeot 306 Diesel Engine Non - turbo (Water in Fuel Damage)

Post by mcdreamer »

Bought a car off ebay recently, was damaged in floods, water contamination to the diesel, looked more like WD40 after I added dry fuel ?? Anyway I have drained the fuel tank and got it running. It smokes white like really bad with a slight tinge of blue. Anyway the lad I bought it off ran it for 3 days with water in the fuel, I thought he would havce damaged the injectors, so I replaced them. It still smokes white but runs alot better, a lot more power now than before, but I can't stop the white smoke. Will this be damage to the fuel system componenets such as injection pump or is it cause I have fitted a timing belt and got the pump timing out (she smoked white before timing belt but also before diesel tank was empty also). I won't let this car beat me. Also I am worried about the fuel pump cause unlike my other 306's it has some electronics on the pump, is this pump the Bosch Semi Eledctric pump (it's definately bosch I just checked) and coiuld the electrics have suffered water damage ??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi,

As this was also posted in the Citroen area, I've posted a reply there.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

Well white smoke is incomplete combustion of the diesel fuel. Does the car start ok from cold, i.e. the glow plug light goes out, turn the key with no accellerator and it starts and runs? if so I would suggest the fuel pump needs to be either advanced or retarded. This can be done by slacking off the pinch bolts holding the pump, starting the engine and turning the pump. You should see it can only move a bit on its mountings.

If the car is a pig to start from cold, then of course the water could of cause the connecting rods to bend, as you cannot compress water in an engine. Bent con-rods will have the effect of lowering the compression, and hence the diesel fuel is not effeciently burnt and gives white smoke.

You could find a cheap used engine for a easy swop!!??