Xantia cooling fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tricky ricky
My Cars:

Xantia cooling fans

Post by tricky ricky »

For a while I have had an intermittent cooling fan when aircon is running. Sometimes it runs, sometimes it does not, but a quick spin by hand will always get int running.

Anyway, a while back I obtained a new fan motor from ebay with the intention of swapping the suspect motor out. Today I decided to do this job, but hit a brick wall when trying to undo the mounting nuts. Even with the radiator stack tilted back, i cant get enough clearance to undo the bottom nut. Question is, what is the best way to do this job? It seemed simple enough up until this point. Do I need a special or modified tool?

Car is 1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive.

Thanks!!!
1987 BX16RE

1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

hi tricky ricky

i have never tried this on a hdi only on a couple of 1996 mark2 xantias
try this link http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ht=#146543

i removed front bumper and slam panel no need to remove bonnet catches just lift up and rest on engine make sure outer edges are resting on something so not to scratch wings :oops:
the rad will tilt forward and you can remove turbo intercooler with ease
the a/c condensor/rad is held onto fan housing by 2 bolts on o/s bottom they have a 5mm allen key head and a 14mm nut. on the n/s there are 2 lugs going into rubber bungs inside the fan housing
once the bolts are removed the a/c rad will slide carefully towards the o/s wing and pop out from the housing bungs on the n/s no need to disconect pipes etc this should give you room to change fans.
i do it this way as it enables me to clean all muck out between rads and give them a wash over with the hose you can even check to see if there is any corrosion etc
will edit in a few mins and put link to pics of this job

colin

***EDIT*** try this link looks like they have been copied twice :oops: :oops:
http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/xantiabits

colin
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as colin said i have never done this on a HDI, but i have done it on a MK1/2 through the front grill openning, very very tight but persy whatsit prevaild, remove the fan first then with a 1/4 drive ratchet and a short spanner i belive it is 8mm but it may be 7mm, they will come out if you stick in there
regards malcolm
nexarius

Post by nexarius »

I did this from the front, without touching the radiators, by getting a 1/4" drive socket that fits the nut, and grinding the other end of it into a square so I could then grip it with an adjustable spanner from the side to turn it it.

Its still a bit tricky but its a hell of a lot more straightforward than trying to remove radiators!

Good luck
tricky ricky
My Cars:

Post by tricky ricky »

Thanks Guys. Looks like the ground down socket is the way to go!!

All I need now is an old 10mm socket!!! I'm sure one will be rolling around the bottom of one of my toolboxes.
1987 BX16RE

1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
nexarius

Post by nexarius »

The sacrifice of a socket is but a small price to pay for the hassle you end up avoiding :-)