Hard and soft metals

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Hard and soft metals

Post by Xaccers »

I was told when I was young that if a hard and soft metal are rubbing together, the soft metal will wear down the hard one.
Is that actually the case?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I think they will both wear, just the hard metal will resist more than the softer metal so I don't understand that principle at all.

Therefore, using copper to scrape a cylinder head mating surface CAN damage the harder alloy etc
goldfinche
My Cars:

Hard and soft?

Post by goldfinche »

Hello all. I am afraid I cant be a great deal of help and can only confirm that something soft can wear out a steel shaft. To the extent that an oil seal made of 'rubber' ( OK I know it's not rubber as such.) can wear a groove into a steel shaft so much that even with a new seal it will leak, an example being a camshaft seal on an xud. Certainly bronze bushes can 'destroy' a steel shaft. I to would be more than interested to know why, somebody must know. Anders???
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 Turbo diesel automatic.BX.
1993 ZX td. slowly dieing.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Most solid bearings are made of soft metals, that way they wear out first and can be replaced..

As a lad, I replaced dozens of white metal big end shell bearings but never had to have the crankshafts reground. and they used phosphor bronze sleeves in the bores of oxygen compressors when I worked on them.. Sooo......

No.. The soft metal will always wear out first. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.