Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaz
My Cars:

Xantia

Post by Gaz »

'93 Xantia TD SX
I've about to change a few of the items of the steering due to advice from MOT bloke. 1) 2xTrack rod ends 2) 1x Lower ball joint and 3) while I'm under there the vertical bars that cluck at low speeds (1ft long..name?).
My questions..Apparently I can change the track rod ends with the suspension hard and the car jacked as normal..can the vertical bars be done in this same state ie will they be removable when the suspension is hard?. From redaing up, I notice the lower ball joints must have the suspension pressure dropped, how does this affect the jacking up of a very low soggy car? Thanks Gaz
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Gaz,
I would jack both side up at the front, put it on axle stands, and then let the suspension pressure off - the wheels will stay hanging down as there is no force to push them back up. I think you would struggle to do the lower ball joint with the pressure on! The vertical bars are called drop links, and connect the roll bar.
Note when you restart the engine, and put it into high - there will be no pressure in the front, so you will need to carefully lower it back down to get some weight on the front wheels to activate the height corrector.
Note that bottom ball joints on BX's are known to be b******s to get out (needing a special splined tool) - I see no reason why the Xantia should be any different.....
Richard
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i've found the special tool is about as usefull as a chocolate kettle.use a hammer & chisel and soak with WD-40