Not so confident anymore

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Not so confident anymore

Post by MikeT »

I suffer moderate spinal damage and certain work, even silly, easy jobs can leave me incapacitated sometimes for days on end.

At best, I may be able to do the job myself start to finish but for efficiency it would be great to have someone supervise and advise me and maybe do some or most of the work, depending on how far I get before the nagging pains force me to stop.

So this is a plea for any kind soul nearby that could instruct and assist me to change a ball joint on my car and maybe more. I'd be happy to compensate them for their time but I can't afford garage prices and I probably don't have all the right tools to DIY. I haven't even sourced the part(s) yet.

I just don't feel confident starting something I may not finish on my own.

If you're within reasonable travelling distance, have somewhere to do the work (some jobs can be done here) and enjoy working on these cars in your spare time, it would be great to hear from you.

p.s. I'm an ex server builder, and certified PC & Toshiba laptop engineer if that's any use to anyone?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

You're always absolutely welcome at my place although I'm a good 2 hours away. The neighbours are very used to Xantia repairs being carried out :lol:

What balljoint are you changing Mike, a steering track-rod end or the lower swivel?

I ask as the former is easy but the latter can be a :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hi Jim,

I thought I read you'd be having a few weeks internet-free - has it been that long already? I hope you had a good rest and it's good to see you back!

140 miles would more likely take me 3 hours or more if I need to stop and stretch and I'd be next to useless after a drive of that length anyway though I'm sorely tempted to accept (excuse the pun).

I'll take a pic of the loose joint for recognition but it's the one fixed to the short strong arm that comes off the base of the wheel if I remember correctly.

I've got to run a few errands now then I'll upload the pic(s).
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

When I had the wheel off the ground, holding it at quarter to three and rocking it, there was freeplay at this bush...

It's not the only job that needs doing but this one is probably the reason for my steering/handling problems and maybe why I'm seeing premature tyre wear around the inner circumference of both front wheels?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep,

That's your lower swivel joint Mike and they can be a bit of fun. Not to be tackled without the tools and facilities. The last one I did it fair made me sweat :lol: It may well accoun t for all your handling/tyre wear problems. Luckily, new ones are cheap.

As I say, I'm very happy to help you with this but it'll have to be at mine, as much as I'd love a trip to Christchurch as I need my huge blacksmiths vice and other non-portable items in my garage to do the job!

Shame really as I'll be down your way this weekend for the Beaulieu Autojumble.

Unfortunately we only went away for a week but it was a fantastic one. It was a vintage holiday, the best we've had for years :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

If possible and you have the time, would you be willing to run a critical eye over this abused xantia this weekend? I'd be most grateful though I don't want to impose on your plans of course, perhaps you'd have some spare time while here?

I'm sure you'd be amused to see the state of this car :lol: