My Engines blown up!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete the bus
My Cars:

My Engines blown up!

Post by pete the bus »

Hi guys.
You might remember previous posts when I needed help getting my 1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate through an MOT...
All went well with that, but now I have a Taxed and Tested car with a blown engine! I think the big-ends have gone...there was an enormous amount of smoke from the exhaust ( I mean ENORMOUS!) and after I pulled over and let it cool down, I found it had seized.
Is it worth asking a garage to do an engine replacement?
More than likely it will go the scrappies unless anyone on here would like to take it off my hands. I am in Dover.
Best wishes
Peter
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No not the big ends - unless you've forgot pouring in engine oil :?

Sounds more like a timing belt failure to me. That could cause an instant power loss, big smoke and engine seizing.
In essence a failed cylinder head - as the valves ar blocking the piston movement.

No big issue for the fullblown DIY'er.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Definitely check the belt!
When one of the tensioner locking nuts came off mine, it allowed the belt to slip away from the engine, slowly cutting it'se way through the covers.
Then it locked up as the belt got caught between the cover and the fuel pump.
New belt, new tensioners (with locktite) and covers and she's merrily running on veg again (huge thanks to citrojim once more)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would check the cam belt first as well
regards malcolm
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Haven't had a chance to look yet, but I dont think it could be a cam belt failure, as it kept running for about half a mile before I managed to get it into a layby and stop safely. It was still running when I stopped the car, and I turned it off with the key. The engine was making a knocking noise by then, and getting slower and slower. Since its been parked I've noticed oil forming on the ground under the engine as well...
I think I am looking at an engine change. Is it a major job for a mechanic, or fairly straightforward?
regards
Peter
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If the engine still runs, I'd be looking at a probable repair.
If it's just the big end shells, they're easy to change with the engine in the car (you'd need to do a good oil flush too). But why did they fail...oil pump failure?
jcdel
My Cars:

blown engine

Post by jcdel »

mine did that but with blood and guts going everywhere.the turbo had blown it's seals apparently and hydaulic'd the engine.£15 from a scrappie sorted it.My engine did turn though once it had cooled (overnight).Incidentally after the turbo had been replaced, it knocked like hell until the intercooler had cleared of oil. "I'ts a thought"A taxi mate of mine says he has "never" known this engine have a crank or big end problem save of no oil.