xantia 2.0 hdi 1999 fuel gauge problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

xantia 2.0 hdi 1999 fuel gauge problem

Post by admiral51 »

hi all

a mate has the above car and his fuel gauge is showing full when ignition on and stays there regardless of fuel in tank

when low on fuel the warning lamp is lit with gauge still showing full :?

i assume the float is not stuck as the low level lamp would not light??

is there a relay in the system for the gauge or is it more likely that the pickup for the gauge is damaged/wire come adrift as it must be showing high/low resistance

i have taken a sender unit from a 1.9td but this is not compatable due to the intank pump on the hdi

any ideas one price for a sender unit/pump for a 2.0 hdi?

cheers

colin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Most likely a cable/connector problem on the sender unit.

There will be 3 wires : one is a ground source (or feed), second is the lamp (ground) switch out, third is the variable resistance to ground for the gauge.
As the gauge sits high, the wire to the float level resistance is disconnected.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its the same as the XM (which it might not be) it only uses one lead (+earth) from the sensor to the gauge, so the low fuel light is controlled by the sender resistance, in which case the gauge itself would be faulty.

I recently had the opposite problem with mine, no or intermittent reading. I eventually found a 12v supply missing from the PCB that controls it.

You can check the sender by measuring the resistance across it and then rocking the car, you should see the resistance varying. Mine was about 1500 ohms with half a tank full.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

thanks all

have spoken to him today and he says everynow and then the gauge will work so from what anders said its likely the wire has come adrift inside the tank and hanging loose enabling on occasion for contact and then a correct reading

any ideas which wires are which before he delves into tank incase they are split broken from inside the car he tells me there are four wires going into the plug on the sender unit??

another problem he has is the seatbelt light stays on and this happened at the same sort of time as the fuel gauge playing up

are they connected in some way or just coincedence :?

cheers

colin
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

When I fill my 1.9TD right up, the needle sticks above the full line until I whack the dashboard above it...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
lawns
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Xantia 11 2.0 HDI. 110
C3 1.4 HDI DV4C A51
Peugeot 3008 2.0 HDI 150

Post by lawns »

I have looked at my Airtex lift pump that i have removed from my 2000 Xantia HDI 110. It has 4 pins, the outer 2 are for the fuel level . With float up at full I get a reading of 50 ohms and down at empty 350 ohms. Airtex pump+sender £151.58 from GSF, Bosh unit from Euro car parts £130.01 but read my last post first.
Regards,
Dave.