Engine Management warning light come on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nigelc116
My Cars:

Engine Management warning light come on

Post by nigelc116 »

Xantia 1.9 TD Estate - 1998

My alternator drive belt has just shredded and while I was limping home the engine went rough, lost power and the Engine Management warning light came on constantly.

In the hand book it says that if it flashes consult a Cit dealer but this is on constantly.

I've just removed the belt and untangled the the strips of belt from the pulleys etc and can't see anything unusual. I can't think of a sensor that is attached to the alterator belt system that could have been damaged by the belt whipping around the engine bay.

Can anyone shed any light - I hope not too expensive

Thanks

Nigel
Xantia 1.9TD Estate R Reg 1998, Green
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

is it just the engine warning light? the circuit it is on also runs the tacho and glow plugs..... my car has a minor electrical fault where the warning light goes on, glow plug light goes on and tacho stops working.....

good news for you could be that the engine looses power at the same time so you might just have an electrical problem (so rare on citroens :lol: )
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could it be something as simple as a voltage drop? With the alternator charging I'd expect the thing to be running at 14 to 15 volts - and a fully charged battery in good condition will deliver 12.6 volts. With a period of running it may have dropped which may cause problems.

Providing there was no chance of the alternator belt having got into the cambelt system and damaged it I'd replace the belt and see what happens. I'd also check any electrical connections that could have been struck by the shredded belt.
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's not unkown for a broken aux belt to get behind the crank pulley and make the cambelt jump a tooth or two..... :evil:

It could be just the low voltage caused the ECU to go into limp mode, or the flayling belt has knocked a conector off the pump.

But....

I have a bad hunch the cambelt slip has happened to yours - the no3 injector lift sensor and crank sensor have probably gone out of synch hence the light coming on. I would definitely get the cam covers off and check the timing is still right before trying to restart it :shock:
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I too would go with the low voltage theory, but it would be a good idea to check the timing as richard says, although if it wasn't knocking it cant be to far out. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, but make sure you have the radio code first!