Where to route through bulkhead?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Where to route through bulkhead?

Post by MikeT »

I would be most grateful if anyone could provide me with suggestions for routing. I've had a cursory glance around the car and without actually removing or dismantling parts I can't see anywhere I can run the following items;

1. Turbo boost gauge tubing.
2. High current wiring
3. N2O tubing

For #1, I'd like the shortest possible route. The tubing will be attached to the small pipe that operated the fuel pump diaphragm - unless there is a better place to plumb into? I don't know where to mount the gauge either - was thinking of modding the ashtray or an air vent :lol:

For #2, I intend to re-wire the horns - don't ask! - and will also be needing to route the wiring for the N2O. Would prefer a neat as job as possible while the length of run isn't important.

For #3, this is heat critical, the cooler (relatively) the better. The tubing will run through the bulkhead into the engine bay and on to the soleniod, which should be mounted somewhere relatively cool and solid like the inner bodywork. Additionally, the tubing from this solenoid is ideally as short as possible which is plumbed into the air intake, anywhere from from the intercooler to the inlet manifold.

All suggestions and comments most welcome, thank you.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Don't want to be a stick in the mud, but when I had the dash out to do the matrix I looked for a route through and found it to be a total firewall, no way to the engine bay without drilling. I just about managed to pull through the thinnest of thin wires through an existing loom route. :(
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

For the boost gauge on mine I filed a hole on where the throttle cable passes through the bulkhead. I made a file hole at the lower part of it large enough to pass the tube through. I made sure that the tubeing was wrapped in tape and then cut up a small section of houshold flex to wrap it in to protect it from chafing. A small amount of cutting the rubber fitting of the throttle cable gromit where it passes through the bulkhead. Looks a neat and tidy job if I do say so myself :P

All the best - Craig.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi Mike, the Xant bulkhead is indeed almost impregnable.. I managed eventually to get a high current wire through the rubber grommet that seals the bonnet cable as it passes through the firewall. This was eventually achieved peering under the drivers footwell and poking the wire through using a shaped length of wire coathanger - (how I ever walked upright again after that little game I don't know ) Good luck anyway, Martin
I won't do that again
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi Mike, the Xant bulkhead is indeed almost impregnable.. I managed eventually to get a high current wire through the rubber grommet that seals the bonnet cable as it passes through the firewall. This was eventually achieved peering under the drivers footwell and poking the wire through using a shaped length of wire coathanger - (how I ever walked upright again after that little game I don't know ) Good luck anyway, Martin
I won't do that again
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Yep. the only way through the bulkhead is the bonnet release cable
- I'll second (or third) that!!

Don't do what I did a short while ago a totally kill the heater matrix pipe
mounting on the bulkhead above the bonnet release cable's entry into the
engine bay. I leaned the pipes to one side off a U clip mounting and the
rather brittle plastic collar sheared just below its bent mounting bracket
making removal and subsequent repair very 'challenging'.

All this to feed a new +ve wire direct from the battery. In the end I forced
a wire through the big door pillar grommet sharing the loom to the door
and then ran it up into the engine bay that way. What a struggle that was!!

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 27 Aug 2007, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

:evil: I didn't expect it to be THAT problematic! But I appreciate the advice and suggestions all the same, thank you.

Criag; Best of british luck on the MOT!
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

its a bit of a bodge but you can get wiring through the air intake for the internal fan (which at least gets it past the bulkhead)..... on my car the flap controlling internal/external air is jammed solid anyway so i just dropped wires down through there and then out through some of the plastic tubing :twisted:
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Sturdybloke wrote:For the boost gauge on mine...
Where did you plumb into the boost pressure? I was originally thinking of the small pipe that operates the fuel pump. Is there a better place for accuracy or ease of fit? If I'm to fit N2O I'm wondering if the additional pressure will affect the boost reading directly.

And how/where did you mount the gauge?
Last edited by MikeT on 27 Aug 2007, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

weety wrote:its a bit of a bodge but you can get wiring through the air intake for the internal fan
I have that possibility in mind already. Thanks for letting me know you had success with it!
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

MikeT wrote:Where did you plumb into the boost pressure?
I tapped into the small rubber pipe that goes fron the plastic turbo pipe to the top of the injection pump. Split it into two and put the T piece connector between them.

MikeT wrote:And how/where did you mount the gauge?
Here -

This is the best place I thought. I was talking to someone on here before and they thought about taking the dash binnacle apart and putting it into the blank circle on the right (where the oil temp gauge is on a VSX/Activa) but I think most gauges are a little big for this, shame because it was a good idea. Not too keen on cutting up the PCB board though.

The entire centre of the dash has to come apart (and the airbag & colum surround). And then once you have the grey plastic moulding off (8 or 9 rivets + a couple of nuts and bolts) you have to cut a section of the dash to get the back of the gauge physically into the dash. Dont worry though the plastic that you cut up is not needed its just left on from the casting process of when it was new. I would go for the TIM type ones as the would blend in with the dash better than mine (TBH I think that its a bit chavvy, but its all the store had at the time :roll: ) but it can change colour (if you like that sort of thing :? )

The TIM one -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-TIM-BOOST-GAU ... dZViewItem

All the best - Craig.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Could you mount it in the panel just the other side of the column, just under the rear electric window cutout and alarm sensor cutout switches?
You an just pull it off if you don't mind breaking it's mounts, and then pop it back in (it's still held securely).
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Sturdybloke wrote: I was talking to someone on here before and they thought about taking the dash binnacle apart and putting it into the blank circle on the right
That's where I thought it may go and what a perfect place! But I bought a TIM gauge and it is, as you say, too big for that hole - pity. I eventually took the gauge back for a refund as I couldn't understand why it needed so many wires and neither could the shop assistant. Also, the wires were far too short and even the tubing wasn't that long - if it's to be neatly routed - I'm tight like that :lol:

Thanks for the info Craig, saves me a lot of head-scratching and brain-ache though I think the place you have yours is out of direct eye-sight?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Xac wrote:Could you mount it in the panel just the other side of the column, just under the rear electric window cutout and alarm sensor cutout switches?
You an just pull it off if you don't mind breaking it's mounts, and then pop it back in (it's still held securely).
That seems a good place xac, it's nice and close the fuesbox too! I just need to know if there's adequate space behind it and easy access to route the tube through to the bulhead as I understand there's a highly-populated whole new world behind these facias! :?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'll take a photo and post it up later
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool