citroen xsara ~ disconnection of central locking ~ HOW?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a4gom
My Cars:

citroen xsara ~ disconnection of central locking ~ HOW?

Post by a4gom »

Further to my previous post here I gave in and left the car doing what it wants, it did seem to work better when locked from the passenger side by the key and held in the lock position for 2 clicks.

Due to problems with our other car we are NOW going to be taking the car on holiday tomorrow and I need the car to lock properly. I don't have time to pursue the problem so am now looking at disconnecting the central locking as been the only option.

Looking for advice on the easiest way to do this.

Car is Xsara 1998 1.9TD

There doesn't appear to be a fuse which only controls the locking so am I correct in thinking the easiest way will be front door cards of and pull plug of the locks. I presume I can leave the rears as the don't have locks so shouldn't send signals just respond to them?

Or is there a plug under the dash? :?:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Wont be necessary to strip all doors. Have a look in the center console next to the handbrake lever. Can not be sure if the control unit is located there, but many PSA models always have/had it located there.

From own sad experience I know that CL problems may be indeed very entertaining.

I re-read the history, and to me it really looks like you've got a wiring problem in the drivers door to pillar bellow, which in fact is the most common problem at all - since this door is the most active one.
A chafed wire may cause intermittent chassis (ground or -ve) connection, and then the CL control unit fires all doors by this signal, as it receives ground signals for control. One of my favorites on old BX'es (NOT :roll: ).
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

control on this is under the dash at the side of the steering column. I'll have a closer look at the wires when i expose it but they looked good last time i looked
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The usual causes of problems with Xsara central locking is either the wiring loom to the doors, or the lock mechanisms.

Have a look here, but bear in mind that what I said about multiplexing wont really apply to a '98 pre-facelift model. On a mk 1 its controlled by what they referred to as the 'body computer';

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21984
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

all sorted, (**possibly temporary). did a few checks over the wiring again before I disconnected, nothing visible, some of the connections on the plug into the door were a bit green so I cleaned them up, was a bit rough in doing so and four of the wires snapped. The wire was broken and black so this was obviously broken before and only held together by the outer sleeving.
I don't have any of the correct terminals so have soldered a short piece of wire in to each to join them up.

Everything works as designed now. :P

** I say temporary as soldered joints in this location will probably snap after a while but at least I know what and where now so can source some proper terminals and replace the full lengths later.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

a4gom wrote:** I say temporary as soldered joints in this location will probably snap after a while but at least I know what and where now so can source some proper terminals and replace the full lengths later.
citroen part numbers of the terminals you need are 6542R1
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

thanks, its still working at the moment so fingers crossed