Rear height corrector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reblack68
My Cars:

Rear height corrector

Post by reblack68 »

I've had trouble with my rear height corrector link coming adrift at one end. The first time it happened I cable tied it on and had no further problems until I eventually bought a new link.

The link popped securely onto the fixed end and I fitted a new spring clip. The ball on the moving end was badly pitted and the link pushed on too easily. As I expected, the link kept coming off until I fitted another cable tie.

The mechanism isn't stiff or seized, I can move it by hand. The problem is definitely the worn ball. Can I replace this ball on its own? I don't really want to buy a whole new height corrector if I don't have to. Is it acceptable for the MOT to have the link secured with a cable tie?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That "ball" is available as a ball hooked clamp to fit on the ARB.

You must provide EXACTLY the year, model, type and engine for your Xantia to get the correct clamp fitting the arb diameter you've got.
Cant remember the pricetag, but the clamp is not expensive.

You will have quite some entertaining moments to adjust the correct height again :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

I just had to buy the clamp for my front height corrector £28 from Advantage Motor Group in lincoln. I think they are much the same so price might be the same too
1995 Xantia 1.8i Dimension
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont know if the ball on the hight corector is avalibale on its own it probably is, but the one AndersDK and Mallyg mentioned is avalible from citroen dealer around £12 squide, i think Mallyg was taken for a ride on the price he payed, the ball and bracket on the hight corector is only atatched to the HC by an 8mm nut so if you are not able to get it from the dealers you will find one on any hydaulic citroen previous to the C5 as i dont know what they use
regards malcolm
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

you can only buy the end that attaches to the roll bar, i've been having problems with mine and it's on the other end and it's only available with the height corrector, so i've ended up tie wrapping it on.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

It's the one closer to the yellow circle here that I'm having trouble with. Dave, has your car got through an MOT with that repair on it?

Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont think this will affect the MOT as long as there is movement in the suspesion with the bounce test
regards malcolm
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

yep, thats the one that i'm having trouble with and it's only available as a complete height corrector unit, mine had zip ties on it when it passed it's mot no problem.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

That's one less thing to worry about then, thanks. :)
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

this ball and bracket may not be avalibableon its own for a xantia but try looking it up for any earlyer hydraulic citroen, as it should be the same item, i think there are a lot of parts which you cant buy seperatly for xantias that are comon to other earlyer models,
regards malcolm
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'll look into that as well then. It's less urgent if it's OK for the MOT but I still want it to be right.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.