Xantia 2001 HDI Estate Rear Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citrosky
My Cars:

Xantia 2001 HDI Estate Rear Spheres

Post by Citrosky »

I attempted to do the three rear spheres on my above metioned car - what a nightmere it turned out to be.
The pipe on the centre anti-sink sphere snapped and also a smaller diameter pipe connected to the block above the sphere snapped.

Question, to any experts out there : where will I have to go to get new pipes also I found two small needle like pins in the smaller diameter pipe
are these one - way valves and where will I obtain a new one.

The two outer spheres will not move at all they are starting to turn the body they are screwed into soaked them with penertrating fluid but to no avail what will I need to do now any advice would be graetly appreciated.
Don't let it develop FIX IT !!!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Most pipes are available at GSF.
All pipes are available from your Citroen dealer - at surprisingly moderate cost.

Remember to inform the EXACT model & year specifications (your VIN number is the best) on your Citroen, as there are so many variants you wouldnt believe it. Only one pipe will fit.

To remove the rear spheres you must have the suspension pressurised at maximum height, as the suspension pressure is the only way fixating the suspension cylinders to the chassis frame. The cylinders (and hence spheres) are only held in place by the weight of the car or the maximum hydraulic pressure in max height.

You must use an oil filter like removal tool, but a very much stronger variant, to break the spheres just 1/8 turn. Then the pressure must be removed from the suspension before you unwind the sphere.

Try the search button abovce - using some of the keywords in this issue like "rear sphere removal" or "rear spheres wont bodge" etc. etc.
Its a very popular topic, and you will get a pile of hits telling you how to do it.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Citrosky
My Cars:

Xantia Rear Spheres

Post by Citrosky »

Thanks AndersDK for the information very helpful - do you know what those needle like rods are for in the smaller diameter pipe?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

We had a discussion on this needle issue long ago -
The consensus was then, that it was some kind of remainings from either the pipe construction machine or the pipe flaring process.

Whatever the reason - the "needles" are to be considered as debries from the production process. Discard whenever you find them as they certainly have no function at all whatsoever.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Citrosky
My Cars:

Post by Citrosky »

Thanks once again for your kind help AndersDK - I would have refit them
thinking they were there for a purpose!