Headlight Beam Deflectors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gammy leg
My Cars:

Headlight Beam Deflectors

Post by Gammy leg »

Chaps,

Any idea if there is a site that shows templates for headlight deflectors ( Cit Synergie ) that can be used when travelling in Europe. Don't want to pay £6.49 to halfords for single use bits of sticky plastic.

Thanks

Gammy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

What I do with the XM is to shine the lights on a wall, or even the ground will do, put your hand over the dipped headlight lens and move it until you cut off the light angled to the n/s leaving it normal straight ahead, then just stick black tape over the area. On the XM it coincides with a change in the lens pattern, giving you a nice straight line, I wouldn't be surprised if the Xantia isn't the same.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I do not know if this helps but two years ago, I was stopped by the French police in my Activa, for no apparent reason, other than it was a UK car.
I had done the insulating tape mask on one of my headlights, as I had lost the silly stick on deflector.

Whilst un flic was talking to me, son mic was looking over the car and spotted the tape deflector, which was his opportunity to proceed to lecture me on the EU Regulations on cars and lights. :shock: Out came their version of Construction & Use Regs, and as I am fluent in French, both written, linguistic and colloquial, I was shown the part about beam deflectors. :roll:

It states that beam deflectors must do that and not mask the light output. The friendlier flic told me that they book a lot of UK drivers for this offence and that it is an on the spot fine.

I would suggest the cost of two silly bits of plastic are cheaper than the fine.

I only got away with it becuase they thought I was a Frog! :D

Have a nice trip.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've seen this discussed on caravanning forums. It seems that beam deflectors have to be type-approved and you risk prosecution even if your home-made ones are identical to the shop ones.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

'Nuff said, Halfords it is. I've done the black tape trick for many years on many different cars. Took the Synergie away last year and wasn't convinced that the masks were in the right location as calculated by shining against the garage wall - seemed to be the opposite of what I was used to. Couldn't make much sense out of the patterns on the headlight lens either. Roll on Friday....

Thanks

Gammy
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I have lived in Frogland for 30 years, and have NEVER been stopped by the Flics/Gendarmes when in a Rosbif reg. car. They are basically too bone idle to go through the paperwork that they do not fully understand. If you p**s them off bigtime however, they are capable of inventing rules to suit their arguments, so keeping cool is by far the best way to go. Mask style beam adjusters do a perfectly adequate job, and doubt that they are outside the regs for a temporary import.

You were dead unlucky.
I do not know if this helps but two years ago, I was stopped by the French police in my Activa, for no apparent reason, other than it was a UK car.
I had done the insulating tape mask on one of my headlights, as I had lost the silly stick on deflector.

Whilst un flic was talking to me, son mic was looking over the car and spotted the tape deflector, which was his opportunity to proceed to lecture me on the EU Regulations on cars and lights. Shocked Out came their version of Construction & Use Regs, and as I am fluent in French, both written, linguistic and colloquial, I was shown the part about beam deflectors. Rolling Eyes

It states that beam deflectors must do that and not mask the light output. The friendlier flic told me that they book a lot of UK drivers for this offence and that it is an on the spot fine.

I would suggest the cost of two silly bits of plastic are cheaper than the fine.

I only got away with it becuase they thought I was a Frog! Very Happy
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The AA set out the requirements for various countries in the 'word' document which can be downloaded here:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... pment.html
jeremy
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi lolingram, just went over to France yesterday on the ferry and picked up a 'Do & Dont' leaflet at the terminal concerning all the junk you now have to carry in your car to drive on the Continent, spare headlights, fire extinquisher, flourescent jackets, triangle, drum, double bass, etc.

Under the section on headlights, it stated quite clearly that all RHD cars from the UK must be fitted with type approved beam deflectors. It specifically stated that masking the headlight beam was NOT allowed and was a contravention of some EU Regulation.

I previously bought a lot of these stick on beam deflectors, as we have too many Citroens, and re-use them by removing the crap adhesive they come with and use clear silicone to stick them on. With the heat from the lamps, they dry quite quickly and can be peeled off and re-used numerous times, without detriment to the glass.

I would prefer not to be stopped by the flics, lazy or otherwise, and risk a fine of several Euros, but that's my own preference.

I had heard from a few ex-pats I know living in France that UK holidaymaker's cars were being stopped regularly for speeding, especially near the Channel ports and being fined for a number of other offences at the same time.

Handyman, IKBA
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I drove down to Bordeaux recently and although I bought a pair of beam deflectors I never got round to sticking them on, mainly because I knew I wouldn't be doing any driving after dark, although I did need to use the lights on once, through a bit of rain. Didn't get stopped or have any bother with the law at all, and the deflectors are still in their packet ready for next time.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
hubrad

Post by hubrad »

[quote="handyman"]Hi lolingram, just went over to France yesterday on the ferry and picked up a 'Do & Dont' leaflet at the terminal concerning all the junk you now have to carry in your car to drive on the Continent, spare headlights, fire extinquisher, flourescent jackets, triangle, drum, double bass, etc.

I often carry a double bass anyway.. best to be on the safe side, eh?
HUGH
Xantia 1.9 TD Estate 1996 - that lovely shade of green that would let you hide in a shady forest.
Fits a 3-piece band with a double bass.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Quite so.... however, I did point out that if you look for trouble you will get it in sh*tloads, so clearly not rocking the boat is the way to go. ALL of my Citroens seem to exhibit a beam pattern that is not at all very assymetric, so I adjust them a bit low without any deflectors, and have never been bothered (nor flashed). I run UK reg cars here as they just do not attrract the thieves OR police. Since there is no road tax for privately owned vehicles, there is litlle incentive to have them re-registerd in France
I would prefer not to be stopped by the flics, lazy or otherwise, and risk a fine of several Euros, but that's my own preference.

I had heard from a few ex-pats I know living in France that UK holidaymaker's cars were being stopped regularly for speeding, especially near the Channel ports and being fined for a number of other offences at the same time.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Just got back last week from France i too saw the notice about all the extra stuff we should all have. it said each passenger should have a flourescent jacket bloody stupid,
Lolingram whereabouts in france are you i have two brothers and a sister each have houses over there.Nearest town to them is Vire.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Jeremy, thanks for the nice document that gives it to us in chapter and verse. That answers everything, although I do like lolingram's sentiments of letting it all go hang.

And Hubrad, I never take a triangle, drum or bass, double or otherwise. I have been known to take my trumpet or cornet, but that is only to give my neighbours a rest. Not sure if they like reveille at 5 o'clock and SWMBO moans if I inadvertantly lose the mute during my evening practice down the bottom of the garden!

Handyman
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I always feel that a piano fulfils all my tasks adequately... :P
And Hubrad, I never take a triangle, drum or bass, double or otherwise. I have been known to take my trumpet or cornet, but that is only to give my neighbours a rest. Not sure if they like reveille at 5 o'clock and SWMBO moans if I inadvertantly lose the mute during my evening practice down the bottom of the garden!
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Half an hour from the Italian border.
Lolingram whereabouts in france are you i have two brothers and a sister each have houses over there.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...