Warning light on Airbag?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

woodhead722

Warning light on Airbag?

Post by woodhead722 »

I have a 405 TD (M-1994) that has a redlight that comes on as you switch on the ignition but then goes off after a couple of seconds.

I noticed today that it came on whilst driving, notably cornering, and I don't mean on 2 wheels!

Any suggestions please, I could find nothing in Hayes or the owners handbook.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

There's a connector which joins the moving steering wheel to the static wiring for the rst of the car (namely the seat sensors and a power supply) - my guess is the rotary connector is on its way out..it's hitting a temporary dead spot and resetting the ECU (which is in the steering wheel itself).

The 2 second light on starting is correct - it's the system self check.
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Thanks Phil.

So by accidently resetting itself during the occasional turn, it presents no immediate problems?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

No risk of the airbag deploying when the red light is on.
It’s actually the firing of the bag that’s temporarily disconnected where the slipring doesn’t make contact.
My 1995 Xantia has a sticker on the door pillar that says that the airbag is only good until January 2004.
After that, it may no longer deploy if the fabric has rotted at the folds.
Peugeot said since that they were good for 15 years.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My First Xantia used to do this. The control unit for the airbag is in the wheel centre on these early cars, hence the red light on the wheel. Repeated powering up of the bag can't be good for it, and it might deploy unexpectedly :shock: - you'd probably be best advised to replace the 'clock spring' / rotary connector or whatever Pug/Cit call it.
Richard W
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Thanks - understand a bit now! Not bad to say first thought was 'is PS oil filled?'

Not noticed last couple of days.
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

I have a 2001, 306 Hdi - the light used to come on whilst driving, flicker for a bit and then go out but now its on all the time :( could it be a similar problem to that above?

Are these designed to also for 15 years also?

Thanks,
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

Lots of trouble with connectors under the front seats on the 306s and 406s, could be the cause of your problem moodle. Not sure what colour it is on the 306 (orange connector on the 406 IIRC), so get under there and make sure they're all secure.
406 2.0 HPi Exec Estate

http://www.406oc.co.uk
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

DaiRees wrote:Lots of trouble with connectors under the front seats on the 306s and 406s, could be the cause of your problem moodle. Not sure what colour it is on the 306 (orange connector on the 406 IIRC), so get under there and make sure they're all secure.
Many thanks, will take a look tomorrow -
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

Found both connectors, one under driver and another under passenger seats - very pooly made and hardly snapped together at all, none the less these dont appear to be the problem -

Any other ideas ?

Many thanks,

David
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

Could it be fuse related?

Thanks,
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

I doubt it's the fuses, I'd still put my money on a dodgy connector somewhere, if not the ones under the seats then somewhere else. That's just me gut feeling though, sorry I can't be more help. :?
406 2.0 HPi Exec Estate

http://www.406oc.co.uk
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My warning light came on late last year.I checked the connectors under the seat & sprayed some wd40 on them,even though they looked fine.Turned out to be dry solder joints on the seat connectors.A common problem on all PSA cars.Had them re soldered which cured it. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

Thanks for the replies which are helpful as I would never have looked under the seat at the connectors there -

np wrote:My warning light came on late last year.I checked the connectors under the seat & sprayed some wd40 on them,even though they looked fine.Turned out to be dry solder joints on the seat connectors.A common problem on all PSA cars.Had them re soldered which cured it. :)
Mmm that sounds like my connectors, they feel very weak and dont give any confidence of a good solid 'snap' together -

I don't know if this makes any difference to the prognosis but I switched the air bags of with the key overide - the warning light telling me they were switched off (yellow) flickered exactly the same -

Going to have a proper look tomorrow now that have finished on my veg mobile :wink:
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

You were spot on chaps!!

It was the connector under the drivers seat, with a small pair of pliers I twisted the <male> blade part of the connector which was enough for a good contact to be made -

Long live the forums :D