corner spheres swopped front - back

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

corner spheres swopped front - back

Post by admiral51 »

hi
just done something stupid or maybe not :oops:

just changed spheres over from one xantia to the other and i have put the fronts on the back and vice versa

is there any real diffence in them or will i get away without having to redo the whole job :cry:

its on a 1.9d xantia

colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes Colin, a massive difference :D

Be ready for a very soft front end and a very hard rear end. Should make driving rather interesting 8)

Slightly dangerous too! Swap 'em back ASAP :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

just a quick update
cant get axle stands again till tomorrow but looking at it ive now got fronts spheres on all four corners and ride is very soft :oops: :oops: even the rear end
i need to get the antisink changed anyway so shall do the whole job again :cry: :cry:

why oh why is it always the 9mm spanner that doesnt have an open end :) :)

colin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

So you changed the front for some correct ones which are now good and soft to drive with ?
If so leave them -

I would have thougth the rear would be much firmer with front spheres fitted. But if the rear is now soft and comfortable, I'd say leave them on if you dont get an up-down bouncing rear during drive.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote: I would have thougth the rear would be much firmer with front spheres fitted. But if the rear is now soft and comfortable, I'd say leave them on if you dont get an up-down bouncing rear during drive.
Front spheres on the rear give a softer ride - the gas pressure is much higher, and the damper bypass holes are larger.

I've tried temporarily putting front spheres on the rear of my car (HA2) and it was drivable at around town speeds, but unpleasantly floaty and not adequately damped at open road speeds. (Slow oscillations) Not to mention the rear suspension completely bottoming on accelerating away from traffic lights. :lol:

Definately not a configuration I would like to leave for more than a few days...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive