Which Diesel Fuel Filter?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Which Diesel Fuel Filter?

Post by MikeT »

My local shop sells FRAM fuel filters. Are they good (enough) quality? If not, what would you recommend and what's the difference?
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I use Fram as a preference, the quality is excellent.

Regards
Slim
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

They have been selling them since I was driving a pre war Ford, so I think they must be OK.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

If you read the details on Fram filters you will see they are pretty awfull! E.G. Copy pasted from that site..

>>>Fram Extra Guard PH8A
This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.

The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin, cheap looking backplate, and is currently stamped with a "2Y". There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.<<<

My advice would be.. DO NOT use Fram oil filters.. :roll:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
deian

Post by deian »

Hi Mike,

You have asked a question where people will either say they like it or they say they won't, at the end of the day only you can decide by judging on what others say, personally, i'd just go to your favourite car shop and get one from a reputable car parts brand.

BUT after some research... it seems like Fram is a good company, owned by Honeywell who also own Bendix. So they can't be that bad. Each to their own I guess.

Good luck.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Personally, I'm always happy with what GSF supply.

I once had an unhappy experience with a couple of Hengst filters but it appears I got hold of some counterfiet ones :roll:

Full story here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ght=hengst

I'm happy to report that genuine Hengst filters are perfectlyfine and I was very unlucky :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Not as if you have to change them that often, get the OEM ones.
Last edited by Brian UK on 05 Aug 2007, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Brian.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've bought genuine air filters from a dealer before and the filter had the Fram name on it.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

One thing I noticed with fuel filters is that there are two different shapes. Both are sold as oem.
There is the paper funnel type, which in my opinion is rubbish as they don't seal properly.

Then there is the plastic cartridge option with a filter inside. These seal really well and don't let air into the fuel at the filter housing.

Citroen sell the plastic ones, and as far as I am aware the only oem one made in this form is the delphi one.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I thought the question referred to fuel filters??

All the replies seem to refer to oil filters - just a thought!

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

What a great response :D I realise personal preferences will vary deian but I wanted to know other people's opinions on this matter.

Normally I wouldn't be concerned about filters but having learned how susceptible diesels are to contaminants in the fuel I think I'm more inclined to go with Brian UK & elma and buy originals from Citroen.

You are correct NiSK, I did ask about fuel filters 8) though it's useful to know if a manufacturer makes good/bad filters of any kind.

Another shop nearby sells MANN fuel filters which don't look too impressive to me - it actually looks like air filter material pleated and glued to two metal end caps.

Thanks for all your replies,
Mike.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I use what GSF supply which can be either MAN or Purflux. Not had any problems yet.

Steve.
not applicable
elma

Post by elma »

I use a mann air filter out of preference as the edges are very thick and, again, it seals well in the air box.
I know it don't matter as much with the air filter but I like it to fit very well.

The mann oil filter is probably an ok filter, but the casing is to light. They're very hard to remove. I crushed one with only my hands.

Again I prefere the delphi one, it's very thick skinned. I checked out how many microns it filters a long time ago and although I don't remember the number It was the lowest one (low is better).
I've never seen an original citroen one so I don't know how good they are.
elma

Post by elma »

MikeT wrote:
Another shop nearby sells MANN fuel filters which don't look too impressive to me - it actually looks like air filter material pleated and glued to two metal end caps.
This is what I mean by the paper cone type, which I think are not good.

If you look in haynes at fuel filter replacement the one shown is the plastic cartridge type.