Odd noise after turbo replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

Odd noise after turbo replacement

Post by caveman_si »

Hi all ive got a slight problem with a 1.9td (i have mentioned issues with it here before)

My engine swallowed something and chewed up the inlet side of the turbo, massive oil loss. Any way ive have taken all the air pipe work off and cleaned them up and done the same to the intercooler (2 litres of oil from that).
Ive checked the engine turns over by hand and its fine. Not having had much time and it taking for ever to do myself ive just had a local garage to change the turbo for a new one.

Ive just had the mechanic on the phone and he as saideverything has been put back together and the car starts and fires up ok but it makes a crack? noise when you up the revs. So hes stopped it checked everything and cant find anything wrong. He has since started and its runs ok (well a little rough since its not moved in 6months)

So any idea? As I havent got a clue and want to make sure its fine for its mot. Before anyone says get the garage to find and fix it, i cant afford something that open ended.

I was thinking possbilly something rattling/moving about in the cat? as everything exhaust side of the turbo is oil contaminated and possibly has bits of turbo in them?

Cheers inadvance gents
406 lx 1.9td estate
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Did you clean the intercooler with something volatile - like diesel or petrol?

If so it could be sucking it out - and when it reaches the cylinder - the engine has got a huge charge probably on one cylinder - so it explodes with a loud bang. Known as overfuelling - and usually occurs on startup if its been reluctant or you've used ether (easy start) to help it.

It shouldn't run roughly after a couple of minutes - to blow the bubbles out of the fuel. - Diesels don't generally suffer from oiling up etc like petrols.

If there's oil in the system take it for a good long fast run before submitting it for an MOT. This will burn oil out of the silencers etc. Don't know what it'll do for the cat but you may not need it anyway.
jeremy
caveman_si
My Cars:

smoking liking a chimney now

Post by caveman_si »

Cheers jeremy.
That sounds about right the car seems to be running fine now all bar one minor but very significant problem.
Under load the car smokes lots!! and by lots i mean cars behind me changing lanes as they cant see. I would say the smoke is light blue but i cant tell the car has blue tinted mirrors and windows so it could be white.
But theres no smoke when ideling or even reving it when just sat there not moving.
I can also hear a whistling so im guessing the turbo piping is loose as the car feels as it has slightly less power then the 4051.9td i used to have before this but that could just be me its been a while since ive driven it.

So i hope its overfueling that can be corrected by sorting the air pipes out and just burning oil off.

Any body want to sugguest anything else before i start taking it apart?
406 lx 1.9td estate
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Poor performance and lots of smoke sounds like a pipe completly off. Check air pipe connections across top of engine going down towards the radiator.

Brian

97 Xantia TD