Xantia TD and HDI gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

roypch

Xantia TD and HDI gearbox

Post by roypch »

Is it possible to replace a 1994 xantia 1.9 td gearbox with 1999 Xantia HDI gear box ?

Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The alternative ML5T g/b is used on 3.0V6, 2.1TD, 2.0turbo and 2.0HDI.
Not sure if its compatible with the "lesser" XU variants engine flange, I dont think so.

But why ?
If you need a s/h g/b, you better go for the BE3 type fitted to Citroen XU engines since the days of the BX.
You can get good ones for next to nothing, and fiddling with gear ratios are described several places on the web. Next to dead easy if you have a donor box.

Your TD can not cope with a possible higher gear ratio. The HDI have much higher low rpm pull torque and may do away with it. Exactly the most outstanding differences between the early XUD and the later HDI generation diesel engines.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

AndersDK wrote:The alternative ML5T g/b is used on 3.0V6, 2.1TD, 2.0turbo and 2.0HDI.
Not sure if its compatible with the "lesser" XU variants engine flange, I dont think so.

But why ?
If you need a s/h g/b, you better go for the BE3 type fitted to Citroen XU engines since the days of the BX.
You can get good ones for next to nothing, and fiddling with gear ratios are described several places on the web. Next to dead easy if you have a donor box.

Your TD can not cope with a possible higher gear ratio. The HDI have much higher low rpm pull torque and may do away with it. Exactly the most outstanding differences between the early XUD and the later HDI generation diesel engines.

This is a mod that I did with my previous Xantia 1.9td. I used a HDI Gearbox from a 306 which was the BE3 type ie (90BHP HDI).
It wasn't the fastest car to start although motorway cruising was fantastic 90MPH at a little over 3000rpm.
I would only recommend this solution if you decide to tweak the fuel pump for some extra power.

Incedently, I've noticed that my Xsara HDI 90BHP is a bit lower geared than my Xantia with the HDI gearbox. How much difference would the wheel size make as the Xantia had 15 inch wheels and the Xsara has 14 inch ones, as I'm assuming the gear ratios are the same?
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
roypch

Post by roypch »

Many thanks Anders and Howie

the reason I asked this is that I got a HDI gearbox with linkages and clutch lever. I used the lever/linkage and was wondering whether i can use the gearbox to cure crunching problems with the current running g/b. thanks again for clarifying that they are not inter-changeable.

Anyone in the forum looking for an HDI gearbox ? Will have to collect from cambridge area(UK).

Best
Roy
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

roypch wrote:Many thanks Anders and Howie

the reason I asked this is that I got a HDI gearbox with linkages and clutch lever. I used the lever/linkage and was wondering whether i can use the gearbox to cure crunching problems with the current running g/b. thanks again for clarifying that they are not inter-changeable.

Anyone in the forum looking for an HDI gearbox ? Will have to collect from cambridge area(UK).

Best
Roy
Roy,
I take the gearbox you have sourced is a BE3 type and not the MLT5 (from 110BHP hyd clutch)?
The reason I ask is that the MLT5 has higher ratio gears and would be worse than the BE3 as a donor box.
I have only recently got rid of my Xantia and had run it for about 2 years with the HDI gearbox, to be honest it ran ok standard considering it is a heavy car. It just took a little longer to get up to speed.
I'd be interested to know what effect different wheel sizes would have as mentioned above. What size wheels are on your Xantia?

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone