Some wiring questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sturdybloke

Some wiring questions

Post by Sturdybloke »

Im hoping that some of you can help me with a question that I have. I am looking for the amp rate on two points on my Xantia

1. The ignition switch starter motor wire
2. The yellow wire that connects to the solonoid on the starter motor

Ive bought one of these aftermarket immobilisers and on the instructions it has set limits on the amp capacity the unit can handle.

Many thanks - Craig.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Craig,

I'm not sure what wire you refer to in the first part. If you mean the current in the main ignition feed, it is very high. Just look at the size of the wires going to the ignition switch. Almost everything feeds through it.

The yellow starter solenoid wire carries a higher current than you think. It takes a fair old bit to pull in the starter solenoid. I'd guesstimate 20A at least. It'll be no higher than any other comparable car so the immobiliaser should be fine.

Immobilisers normally interrupt the starter solenoid feed and on a petrol car, the fuel pump feed and ignition supply (i.e. those items fed by the injection double-relay).

On a diesel, the only thing you can interrupt with an immobiliser (apart from the starter solenoid) is the stop solenoid.

Immobilisers don't normally cut the main ignition supply.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Thanks jim. Its got two seperate immobiliser points on it. As you say on a petrol (fuel injection) car you would interupt the fuel pump and the ignition supply. On my TD Xant I was thinking of splicing into the starter solonoid and into the ignition switch (on the starter setting).

The first relay can handle 25 amps (this I was going to use on the solonoid) and the second handles 10 amps, I was thinking of using on the ignition switch starter motor setting (key position number 3)

You mention the stop solonoid - any idea on what amps it uses as it could well be used if it fits into the sub 10A bracket.

All the best - Craig.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Craig,

Yep, 25A will be fine for the starter solenoid :)

I'd use the other for the stop solenoid rather than using it to cut the ignition switch start as effectively it does the same thing as cutting the starter solenoid later on.

The stop solenoid takes a comparatively small current (2 or so amps at a guess) so the other side of the immobiliser will be fine for this.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you use a 25 amp circuit for the starter solenoid - why would you use a lesser circuit for the circuit which feeds the starter solenoid?

Stop solenoid won't use 10 amps - as its fed by a thin wire and is powered all the time the engine is running.

I removed one of these horrors from our ZX when the ignition key switch expired. Apart from an earth all the wiring was onto the switch wiring and came away with it.

Surely you can leave an elderly Xantia with the key in it quite safely can't you? Worst that'll happen is you'll have an insurance claim. Insurer only give a discount if the immobiliser is professionally installed don't they - and if they do the discount won't cover the cost of installation will it?
jeremy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

jeremy wrote:I removed one of these horrors from our ZX
I'm not fond of them Jeremy, quite honsetly, but I have to have one on my GTi otherwise it cannot be insured at a decent rate. They're a fault liability an elderly car does not need, especially a French one!

As you say, the insurance only accepts a certified and professionally installed one even though the installation on mine is rather less than professional in my opinion. This annoys me as I'm capable of doing a professional job but cannot certify it. A racket :twisted:
Jim

Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

jeremy wrote:
Surely you can leave an elderly Xantia with the key in it quite safely can't you?
Guess that you've never been to Swansea jeremy? And in the area that I am in its not the nicest of places (thats the biggest understatement of the year).....When I bought the car it already had one attempt at it (bent the top of the door out and knackred the coloum) so I dont want to go through having to sort out the whole lot again :evil:

All the best - Craig.
Last edited by Sturdybloke on 28 Jul 2007, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I thought the Welsh Assembly was the answer to MRSA and all other problems!

Immobiliser won't stop bent door frames and attempts to break steering locks. Plain flashing light would have the same deterrent effect. No point in widow stickers as if its like parts of Southampton it seems that no-one bothers to go to school.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'd say the guesstimating 20Amps on the starter solonoid is a bit to the "safe" side. Its closer to 10Amps. Not that heavy curent as it used to be on ancient cars.
I always modify the circuit to include a standard auxillary relay to take the heavy solonoid current. Then the ignition key starter contact set is only loaded by the mere 0.2Amps max for the relay coil.

Anyways the 25Amps rating on the alrm box is more than adequate for the job.
The fuel stop solonoid would be in the order of 1-2Amps Max.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image