What does this part do

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

What does this part do

Post by Dave1 »

Hi,

Simply a question I hope someone can answer. The part I refer to is described by the dealer as an "Assist Valve" on a BX. The part no is 4048G2. Now that PR net is not quite so readily available (free) I cannot find out what it is and parts department did not know..

Anyone have any idea as to what it would be. The reason is have the chance of one but do not know what is it, they cost about £250 new though.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its the steering pinion valve - RHD.

Download the parts book - its on page 215.

http://citroeny.cz/servis/data/bx/BX_katalog_nd.pdf
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Drawing : 1230 03 442610 STEERING ASSISTANCE VALVE POWER STEERING
ref 51 - 4048 G2 - NFP - PINION VALVE - RIGHT HAND DRIVE
NFP = no longer available as spare part.

Its the BX steering pinion with a build-in cotrol valve for the power steering ram cylinder. The valve comes in both LHD & RHD variants, because of opposite angles to the steering wheel axle.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Thanks both of you. I now have a nice catalogue which is certain to come in useful :D
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Now that I have the above sorted can I refer you to the catalogue,
1235 03 4428 10 the steering distributor, part 402401. Is this also called a flow direction valve. If so where is it located on the car and if not, still referring to part 402401, where is it located. Same situ as before, can have the part by number but do know exactly what is does.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The flow distributor splits the supply for the power steering.

For a detailed account of how everything works follow the link below and the 'Technical Guide' link in the top left corner.

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/

If you're faultfinding - the pinion valve usually goes heavy on one side first when its seals fail. The flow divider is often blamed for other faults.
jeremy
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Thanks Jeremy,

That is a useful page. I have seen it before but it is easy to forget about these various pages for help. Now in favourites.

I am not fault finding as such but am in a postion to get a couple of parts that have received little use and I only have the part number off a receipt. They were pretty costly and I considered having them in reserve.

One part is the 402401. I wanted to know what it looked like and where it is on the car so I can advise someone else how to remove it.