AX Boot catch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AX_Man

AX Boot catch

Post by AX_Man »

I had the annual pleasure of the MoT last week on the AX and suffice to say it passed first time (I was shocked!) with a list of advisories.

The one I'm not sure on what to do about is the boot lock on the AX is so loose. The MoT centre got their apprentice boy to take it off and put it back on. However it seems the mechanism has worn out as it won't tighten up any further than it already was. To clarify the key works fine and the catch on the main part of the car is fine, its the bit inside the boot lid that is loose.

Any ideas on fixes?
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Do you mean the whole thing is rattling around and doesn't secure the lid properly? In which case it may be that some of the catch securing flanges or holes have broken away from the plastic lid - in which case some inspired bodgery may be called for - like pop-riveting plates onto the plastic into which the lock can be screwed.

The catch and striker may be adjustable to get a better shut. It probably seems a bit loose now as the seals will have flattened but there may be some adjustment provided - or careful use of a hammer, washers or similar may effect a cure.

If its that the button seems OK but won't operate the catch - on our ZX I had the operating pin and plate break away from the mazak casting - and much to my surprise there was about 1/2 inch of Mazak behind the lock barrel which enabled me to drill and tap it to take a stud which in turn enabled me to refix the plate/pin with a couple of nuts tightened against each other to lock it and enable the plate to swivel and operate as intended. Did it 3 years ago and its still there.

The button assembly is probably held in with a 'U' shaped clip which is intended to be bent so that its prongs are curved - which holds the button assembly in with a bit of spring. If this goes flat the button will seem loose and this plate looks as though it too will respond to bending.
jeremy
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

jeremy wrote:Do you mean the whole thing is rattling around and doesn't secure the lid properly? In which case it may be that some of the catch securing flanges or holes have broken away from the plastic lid - in which case some inspired bodgery may be called for - like pop-riveting plates onto the plastic into which the lock can be screwed.

The catch and striker may be adjustable to get a better shut. It probably seems a bit loose now as the seals will have flattened but there may be some adjustment provided - or careful use of a hammer, washers or similar may effect a cure.

If its that the button seems OK but won't operate the catch - on our ZX I had the operating pin and plate break away from the mazak casting - and much to my surprise there was about 1/2 inch of Mazak behind the lock barrel which enabled me to drill and tap it to take a stud which in turn enabled me to refix the plate/pin with a couple of nuts tightened against each other to lock it and enable the plate to swivel and operate as intended. Did it 3 years ago and its still there.

The button assembly is probably held in with a 'U' shaped clip which is intended to be bent so that its prongs are curved - which holds the button assembly in with a bit of spring. If this goes flat the button will seem loose and this plate looks as though it too will respond to bending.
Thanks Jeremy. As ever you are on the ball. Luckily the boot stays shut (securely enough for the MoT) but rattles like hell. I'll take it apart tomorrow (weather depending).
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Had the same problem. I found that a good quality slow cure epoxy fixed the mazak lugs back in place.

Fix has lasted a year now.

Regards

John