xant to a c5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

toldemoldham
My Cars:

xant to a c5

Post by toldemoldham »

Time to change my xant i think :cry: does the c5 have simlar problems as the xant ie door hinge failure and clutch clip probs? and is there any other major issues to be weary of,looking at 01-02 110 hdi hatch thanks,paul.
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
weety
My Cars:

Re: xant to a c5

Post by weety »

toldemoldham wrote:Time to change my xant i think :cry: does the c5 have simlar problems as the xant ie door hinge failure and clutch clip probs? and is there any other major issues to be weary of,looking at 01-02 110 hdi hatch thanks,paul.
from what i have read the flywheel can give problems (it is a two part flywheel with a rubber part inbetween (to reduce vibration)...like the old TD carlton/frontera) the rubber part lets go and the flywheel destroys your clutch
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Which 110 is it? The 1.6 HDi 110 is noisy as its all aluminium (not actually tried it myself)
Keep away from the old 2.2 HDi, Turbo problems at around 70000.

Suspension, 5 years and no leaks, still more comfortable than BMW 3 series, VW PAssat, Volvo S60 or Vectra.

Sticking door locks.

Top half of Tailgate on Estates can wear and not open.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
toldemoldham
My Cars:

Post by toldemoldham »

Thanx for the info,went and tried 2.0 110 hdi out today y plate and 02 both under 100,000 miles with history and they both rattled for 10 seconds till oil got round the engine not happy with that as they sounded worse than my xant with 150,000 on it with no rattles even when cold but is this a hdi thing, the y plate car was bobbing up and down on the front whilst i was walking round it and the engine was not running but sales man said they all do it so why did the 02 plate c5 not do it a slight glitch perhaps anyway wernt happy with the 2 i seen today the millage did not seem right in the 02 plate steering wheel and drivers bolster on seat was well worn and when asked could i see a hpi cert for the 02 plate the sales man asked why do i need to see that so off i went rather quickly. not being to picky am i :lol:
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

You can never be too picky...and any dealer which starts to squirm when you talk HPi checks is best seen in your rear view mirror...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wouldn't have said you were being picky. Certainly the 2 XUD's I've got - (BX with 200,000 + miles) always surprise me how quickly they put the oil lights out. This may have something to do with filter sizes and I think HDi's have bigger filters. Having said that XUD's are supposed to have anti-drain back valves in the filter but it may simply be that the HDi's either don't have them or these are fitted with cheapo filters that have leaky valves in them.

No point in buying a car you're doubtful about - there are plenty of good ones if you look.
jeremy
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Hmm, don't like the sound of that at all. My own 110 Hdi most certainly doesn't rattle-after 105,000 miles it is going better than ever. The oil light goes out instantly as soon as the engine fires.
The clutch is hydraulic, so no probs with the infamous clip, but the DMF can, and does fail :cry:
There are a lot of nice C5's around, as ever I would recommend the 2 litre over the 2.2 as the running costs tend to be less. Lower road tax, no eolys, no turbo probs & so on. Just a personal opionion , you requirements may differ from mine.......
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Both our cars have the HDi 110 engine and I can't say I've noticed any rattling or delay in the oil light going out on either. The Xantia has over 170k up. Having said that, my dad's Volvo (2.4 6 cylinder VW Diesel) has been rattling alarmingly on start-up for 170k miles with no apparent ill effects.

The C5 suspension seems to be electrically powered and works without the engine. It should be able to decide what height it wants to be at though. I think our one lowers itself a bit after a few minutes at rest but just the once.

One thing you can do for nothing is check the car's MOT history. You need a number off the V5 or MOT to do this but an honest seller shouldn't mind showing you the relevant documents. The MOT check shows you where and when it was MOTed, what the mileage was and gives details of any failures. All useful information that can help you decide whether to proceed with a paid-for check.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Good point about the suspension - even my humble BX will adjust itself after I get out - or even while I'm filling it with fuel. There's a delay built in deliberately to prevent it responding to road irregularities - so if it adjusts and settles it is probably doing what it's meant to.
jeremy
Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

Hi Paul,

I suspect that the two you have looked at are not quite right, but as has been pointed out there are lots around that are very good and very cheap so be picky and bide your time.

Mine (93,000 miles 110HDi) certainly doesn't rattle and the oil light goes out immediately after start-up.

The suspension does alter the ride height electronically so when you unlock the car there will be a whirr as the car adjusts itself. Also as each person gets in or out before start up it will automatically re-adjust itself, which can sound quite disconcerting at first. After getting out it seems to rise a bit and then re-adjust a while later. But I would not expect it to be going up and down whilst you are just walking around it.

I've heard about the flywheel probs and am keeping my fingers crossed in that department.

The rear suspension arm bearings can apparently go in just the same way as BX's and Xantia because they are basically the same design but I've not heard of too many failing personally.

The door locks... yes they certainly can have a mind of their own with regards sticking locked or unlocked and it costs a pretty penny to get them fixed by a Cit dealer.

The climate control can sometimes go weird and pump out hot air on the nearside regardless of ambient or inside temperature. This only happened to me twice and curiously was one of those problems which rectified itself whilst I was pondering over how best to investigate it. I've had a few things 'fix' themselves on the C5 which is a most odd, never had that on a car before!

The 'Comm 2000' unit on earlier cars, up to 2002, which controls the trip computer is a regular failure (mine doesn't work) but apparently later models had a more reliable version fitted. Hopefully any rogue ones would have been replaced under warranty but it hadn't been on my 2001 car and the dealer said it was way too late now. I think the unit alone is around £300. Another sign of a dodgey Comm 2000 unit is that sometimes when indicating right with the indicator stalk, no flashers. Sometimes work... sometimes don't. Random!

Squeaky rear brakes due to the calipers going out of alignment because of differential corrosion between the alloy of the caliper and the metal of the suspension arm is almost universal. Probably not a huge problem apart from the noise and must cause more pad and disc wear.

Early models, up to 2001, had problems with the rear suspension knocking around and making lots of noise. There was a recall fix under warranty but it will not necesarrily have been done. Don't think mine was despite the dealer saying there were no recall issues when he checked the car on his computer. If this is fixed I'd hate to be in a bad one.

As mentioned further up the thread the split tailgate on the estate sounds like a real problem area, but I've a hatchback so don't know.

One classic 'design' fault on the hatchback is that if you open the boot after its been raining whatever you have in there gets a good drenching. Can't believe they let that one slip through, must have tested in good weather!

The steering column can make strange and disturbing clonks if rapidly putting on lock, as though a u.j. is going. But often adjusting the rake in and out and moving it up and down cures the problem. Maybe there's not enough grease in there and this moves it around?

Oh dear :shock: All that makes it sound like a terrible car!!

In fact its great and you'd probably like it. I'm just pointing out the bad bits as far as I am aware (there could be more :roll: ), and they are what you need to know as a buyer.

You'll discover the good points for yourself :) :)

Hope that's not put you off, go and find a good one :)

Regards
John J.
C5IAM
My Cars:

Post by C5IAM »

Just read the last post. I've got a 2.2 hdi and have just had minor problems. The thread I just picked up re water coming in the boot when you open the boot lid. There is a maker's update on that one. A load of silicone sealer is applied at the end of the rubber seal which deflects the water, slightly. I now only get half as much water in the boot!!
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage
toldemoldham
My Cars:

Post by toldemoldham »

Still not got a c5 :? but tempted with a 2.2hdi sx after a test drive in one and it has plenty of get up and go,yes ive read some threads on here to keep away from the 2.2 for running costs and the particle filter additive but is there any other major stuff to stay away from the 2.2,seen plenty of 110 hdi mainly rough ones for the miles thats on them but more £££ to buy than the 2.2 and why does the 2.2 sx have cruise and esp but 2.0hdi sx not well the ones i have seen dont anyway
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

philhoward wrote:You can never be too picky...and any dealer which starts to squirm when you talk HPi checks is best seen in your rear view mirror...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: