Gauges

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

Gauges

Post by Ross »

I was told
"Once the oil or temperature light comes on in a Peugeot its already too late"

Is their any merit in this comment - is it best to have an oil and water gauge fitted to monitor temperatures ?

On my Xantia I have gauges for both - if nothing else I at least can seem comparative rises in oil and water temperature.

The car is a 106 ,1.5 diesel on an "M" plate

Is it possible to fit "aftermarket gauges" - sorry to ask but the last thing I fitted gauges to was a 1500 Ford Anglia so it was a while ago - lol

Thanks

Thanks
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Has been done to a few Bx's, so can't see any issues - it in that case it was a higher-spec model retrofit.

Aftermarket gauges still work the same as they did on Anglias - 12V supply to the gauge and a new temperature sensor fitted somewhere in the head. If the "oh dear" light uses a switch, then it might be possible to swap it for a sensor from an aftermarket gauge.
sparky33

Post by sparky33 »

Just to add to an old post, it's not so much the temp light coming on, as most cars don't have one, but I think you have it confused with the "idiot light" i.e. oil pressure light, as 99% of the time when this comes on, it is followed seconds later with the big ends knocking.

It would be of more use to fit a pressure gauge where there isn't one than a temp gauge.