Insurance Question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Insurance Question

Post by OwenP »

Due to various financial difficulties, I am currently faced with the decision of whether or not to insure the car for another year or to pay for rent, bills and food for the next month or so.

If I leave the car without insurance for a month or two will I lose the no claims bonus that I have currently accrued?

Obviously I'm not going to drive the car without insurance, its not running anyway at the moment either, so adding yet more money onto it seems point less, since the MOT and Tax in March and May respectively it has done maybe 600 miles if that so is seeming a waste of money at the moment.

Lowest quote so far is £303 from swiftsure.com, anyone heard of them before?
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I'm pretty sure that your NCB remains valid for two years.

Just make sure you keep it off the road! :oops:

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

You can "hold" your NCB for at least a year - some companies will honour it after 2. Just get the proof letter from the insurance company and keep it in a safe place! A month won't make any difference.

Never heard of swiftsure, but i'm with swiftcover.com - no call centres, and everything online. Means i can change my insurance at 2am if i need to (and have..). Suits my lifestyle - except the range of care they cover is a little limited. Very middle-of-the-road (no GTi's).
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Think I meant swiftcover.com :oops:

Just got my renewal quote from Endsleigh for £440, think they will be told be told where to go. Still looking round, although virgin's 0% might be a good way to go.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I tried confused.com and found swiftcover that way. Endlseigh were a pain - got a quote, then they phoned me to see if I wanted the cover. When I told the i'm got it cheaper (half their price), they were lost for words.

Get the cheapest quote you can, then tell Endsleigh to match it or walk...you never know. They might be desperate for the business...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

philhoward wrote: Endlseigh were a pain
Aren't they for students? I remember they were cheap for student insurance in my college days but as soon as you got a proper job the premiums shot though the roof.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Homer wrote:
philhoward wrote: Endlseigh were a pain
Aren't they for students? I remember they were cheap for student insurance in my college days but as soon as you got a proper job the premiums shot though the roof.
Yes, primarily they are, but then I am one. Although that may explain the high premium as they have me down as a graduate within 6 months on last years documents, which is true, although I am still a student as well, for a bit longer anyway. Oh well, will ring them on Monday and see what they say.