alternator replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

alternator replacement

Post by admiral51 »

hi all
guess this has probably been asked before but....................

how easy/difficult is it to change an alternator on a 1996 1.9td sx xantia

can a novice do it or does it require more of an intellect :lol: :lol:

have changed alts before but only on really old fords and they were easy

non a/c if that helps

thanks
colin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Just about the same job as on Frauds.

Only real difference is access to mounting bolts etc.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

when i say old fords i mean REALLY OLD put a bar in and slide the alternator on its fixing to tighten it the aux belt on the xantias seems to run a lot more than alternator and fan :oops:

never tried to do anything with the auto tensioners before so could be tears before bedtime :lol:

colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, fiddly more than anything.

If it has aircon it helps enormously to take the ECU and its box right out and slip off the top engine mount so you can jack the engine up a bit and slide the alternator out into the gap where the ECU box lives.

If no aircon then it's much easier :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On non-A/C cars the alt is on the top IIRC, so it's pretty easy. Put it in high and on full right lock. Throw a jack or axle stand under just in case it decides to drop :shock: Remove the driver's side wheel arch liner. Clean up the adjuster screw (6mm allen screw) on the bottom of the tensioner pulley you have just revealed, and WD-40/plus gas it. Slacken the two allen screws clamping the adjuster - one below the pulley, one in the centre of the pulley - to get the center one, unclip the bottom hose and gently move it down - there might be a plastic clip in the center of the pulley - prise this out first. Make very sure you are using the right allen key, the screw is well cleaned out, and the key is bottomed in the hole - you do NOT want to round one of these out.... Screw in the adjuster to let off the belt tension, then remove the belt - noting the routing!! Now just remove and refit the alternator, refit the belt, tension it with bottom adjuster screw - reasonably tight on the main run - and then refit everything else.
Richard W
CTR

Post by CTR »

If you need to take alternator out for brush replacement - it is possible to do in-place - just remove the alternator cap...
(But have to take oil filter out of the way....)