ZX TD - intermittent driveshaft symptom

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Insect

ZX TD - intermittent driveshaft symptom

Post by Insect »

Four times now, at quite long intervals (weeks) my ZX TD has shown symptoms that feel and sound like a driveshaft is on its way out - clicking/clonking on full lock, an 'out of balance' sensation somewhere in the front suspension. This wouldn't be surprising as it's covered 276k on the original driveshafts, but it puzzles me that the symptom comes and goes as it has. If a driveshaft has gone, it could hardly cure itself.
Is it possible for a worn shaft to stick on its splines in some way, and then free itself? Any ideas?
ex-ZX TD Estate owner - (309,000 miles on the original engine and turbo) now risking a Renault.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just one.

If the ZX ones are like 1.9TD Xantia ones then the outer CV joint is restrained on the shaft by a big "C" clip. If the boots have been replaced at any time, lazy operators leave this clip off as it's a right so and so to get back on again.

leaving it off allows the joint to slide nearly off the splines and give rise to exactly the symptoms you have.

Check this because it is dangerous as the joint and spline could part company completely just wehn you really don't want it to.

I've been there but luckily without disasterous consequences.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Insect

Post by Insect »

Citrojim

Thanks for the advice - I'll have a look at the weekend, if I can get underneath without drowning!
ex-ZX TD Estate owner - (309,000 miles on the original engine and turbo) now risking a Renault.