High pressure Pump Repair.....is it possible?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

High pressure Pump Repair.....is it possible?

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi folks,
Hope those more knowlegeable and experienced than me can help here.
Is the 1994 Xantia TD high pressure pump repairable.I've looked through some previous post but cant find anything.
I believe my pump is the early type,6 piston with 2 connections only.I say this because it appears to be weeping LHM fluid and I've checked the renowned black hose connection at the pump for leaks and security and it seems fine to me.
If the pump is serviceable,what sort of job is it to do and are the spares readily available.Iknow I have the option of a second hand one from the breakers,but again what condition is that going to be in?A new pump is out of the question right now as I'm not flushed with the queens notes.
Anyway any help here would be greatfully taken.
Thanks in advance Steve :)
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If its the metal one with the pressed tin cover and no obvious access - the answer is no - you won't be able to get it apart.

The other day I downloaded an early DS workshop manual. I haven't read it properly yet - but it seems to have instructions for overhauling this type of pump and shows a special tool for pressing off the cover.

Download here (its a big PDF file)

http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm
jeremy
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for your reply Jeremy.
I'm quite sure my pump is a solid body made up of presumably of cast iron.It gives me that look and feel to it.
I've looked at the link you posted and downloaded the file,looks quite informative except me no understandy czech language.
Does anyone have some more helpful info or can point me in the right direction?
Thanks Steve :)

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The reference you want is:

Servisní manuál DS19 - anglicky

Should be in English - copy of a plastic covered manual.
[/url]
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The same ground is covered before here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

hope this helps.

Andrew
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Yes,

The pump can be stripped down without too much trouble, there are 3 bolts holding it together. Each piston has an o-ring seal which are available from Citroen. The end cup also has a large o-ring which is also available.

Additionally there is a seal behind the triangle shaped plate on the pulley end - this is NOT available, but you will find that you can use a standard square section sphere neck seal there. :lol:

If the problem is simply a little bit of oil weepage and it otherwise works fine I would give it a go.

One snag though - I don't know about the earlier pump that only has 6 pistons, but on the 6+2 pumps the heads of the 6 piston section uses a torx driver (approximately T55) and they are EXTREMELY tight.

You won't be able to get them undone with the pump housing just sitting in a vice because it will try to twist out of the vice and there are no good places to clamp on the body tightly without damaging it.

You'd probably need to make up a little bracket that bolts securely onto the normal pump mounting locations and then clamp the bracket in the vice. (Or you might be lucky and they might not be as tight as mine were :roll: )

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Simon - is your pump the same type? I don't think there are any apparent bolts on the earlier ones - until the tin can is pressed off the back.
jeremy
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for your replies people.
Jeremy-I did try to download a few of those files on the link you kindly posted,but unfortunately everytime the download gets to the very end 'it all locks up' and no file has been downloaded.Shame as it looked interesting and helpful.I'll try again later.
I'll probably have ago at repairing the pump(providing I can get the parts required) as I'm a bit wary as to the problems air in the hydraulics can cause and suspect that as the pump seems to be weeping I asume its probably drawing in air.
Would that be a fair assumption?

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hint on the tin cover pump type : apply pressure on the inlet stud, then the cover shoots off itself.
Be careful - have all parts wrapped up in rags to catch when they separate from the pressure.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

jeremy wrote:Simon - is your pump the same type? I don't think there are any apparent bolts on the earlier ones - until the tin can is pressed off the back.
Hi Jeremy,

You're thinking of the BX/CX swashplate pumps that look like a big green sealed tin can. To my knowledge they were never used on Xantia's, not even the earliest models.

I have the service manuals for the hydraulic system on Xantia's and there is no mention of that type of pump ever being used - only the 6 piston eccentric cam type in the non-antisink models and the 6+2 piston pumps for the anti-sink ones, both of which have a 3 part housing with 3 bolts holding them together.

I'm pretty sure I've posted cutaway diagrams of both types before.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thanks Simon - looks like I've been misleading people. The one mentioned in the DS book is the 'Can' type - which is generally regarded as impossible to service.

In reality I expect the most difficult bit would be finding springs for it.
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

jeremy wrote:Thanks Simon - looks like I've been misleading people. The one mentioned in the DS book is the 'Can' type - which is generally regarded as impossible to service.

In reality I expect the most difficult bit would be finding springs for it.
Here's a cutaway of the 6+2 pump:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... +2pump.jpg

Looks like I havn't posted the single output pump before (its not in the images folder of my homepage) but I can scan it in if someone wants it now that I have a scanner :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400