306 roof aerial

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevin
My Cars:

306 roof aerial

Post by kevin »

According to the haynes book of words to replace the aerial, remove the nut at the base. No problem, except on mine there is a big aluminium cap covering the entire base assembly, with no apprent signs on how the base comes apart.
After several attempts and nipped fingers on a freezing cold Saturday morning, the descision to give up and retire to the pub before her indoors came home was made.
The aerial is currently held in the correct position by a mixture of duck and insulation tape.
Any suggestion on how to remove the aluminium cover plate would be helpful
kevin
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The nut is on the inside of the car, behind the console holding the interior lights and switches. I presume you are looking at the base of the aerial on the outside of the car??
HTH
Ross
1990 205 1.4
1995 306 Dturbo
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Thanks for the reply,
Yes I am looking at the base of the aerial inside the car. The nut to remove the roof mount is covered by an aluminium cover that appears to be crimped on.
Any suggentions on how this comes apart, without further injury to the fingers, or trips to my local to assist in the recovery!!.
Kevin
1995 306XLdt
1994 205 GLd
marcus

Post by marcus »

I recently did this on my 306 (1995) to replace the long arial with a short flexy one to aid repeated roof rack usage. The aluminium cap you are referring to is 'lightly' crimped on. If memory serves, I found it reluctant to budge and was afraid of applying to much force and smashing the light and larm stuff hanging below it. Anyway I used some pliers to get a firm grip on it and pulled gently down. If it distorts a little it is easy to reshape and fits by being forced back over the nut.
A tip if changing arials, make sure you have a little gasket under the plastic base fitting of the arial (external) or take it off the old one. Silicon sealant on the hole may be a good idea as a leak here can mess with the alarm system (a problem a friend had with a 1995 306 D Turbo)
Hope this helps.