Early Xantias have inertia switches?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekaftan
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2006 C5 II Exclusive V6
1996 Volvo 940

Early Xantias have inertia switches?

Post by ekaftan »

I have to go rescue a friends car tomorrow. Its a 94 2.0i 8v auto that wont start. Last time it ran it rar for 2 or 3 seconds, stalled and woudnt restart.

He checked fuses and found one fuse for the fuel pump burned on the engine bay, replaced it and it still would not start.

Is there any inertia switch in early Xantias or some other part that may have tripped? I know my 96 has one, but this one seems not to have.

Thanks.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

You mean a fuel cutoff switch ?

Should have one up in the corner of the engine bay by one of the bonnet hinges...(the right one from memory)

As for the blown fuse - it will have blown for a reason, maybe the fuel pump has died or the wiring to it is faulty ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
ekaftan
Donor 2023
1996 Volvo 940

Post by ekaftan »

Mandrake wrote:You mean a fuel cutoff switch ?

Should have one up in the corner of the engine bay by one of the bonnet hinges...(the right one from memory)

As for the blown fuse - it will have blown for a reason, maybe the fuel pump has died or the wiring to it is faulty ?

Regards,
Simon
Yes, fuel cutoff switch... Its not there. Mine has it. This one does not.

As for the fuse, the fuel pump relay (the 15 pin double relay) seems to be bad as well. I'll replace that and see if it runs.

thanks.
ekaftan
Donor 2023
1996 Volvo 940

Post by ekaftan »

Mandrake wrote: As for the blown fuse - it will have blown for a reason, maybe the fuel pump has died or the wiring to it is faulty ?
I am back. Car's running. You were right. The fuel pump was locked solid. I could not get the exact pump as a spare part (except from Citroen itself, special order, US$400 + tax) so I adapted a ZX pump, same diameter but shorter.

It looks like the piece where the level sensor and the pump go is meant to hold either type of pump. Moving a screw to another already drilled hole made the pump holder bracket shorter just the correct amount for the shorter pump. Only other modification was some cutting of a rubber grommet. ZX pump: US$45

Car started first try after reassembly. Happy owner (friend and business partner). Happy me (who sold him the car 4 weeks ago and was having a troubled conscience)

Thanks for the tip :)