2.1 xantia front brake sticking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rongee68

2.1 xantia front brake sticking

Post by rongee68 »

off side front caliper is sticking. ive put on another caliper and new pads, handbrake cable is nice and free. would new disc's solve problem? thanks
deian

Post by deian »

if it's still sticking then i'd replace the disc too... but if you've put a new caliper and new pads it should be ok...

if you've come to the conclusion you need new disc then do it before the pads wear unevenly (if the discs caused them in to stick to the pad in the begining- in some way)

Oh and remember to replace discs/pads in pairs, very important, i don't mean sound patronising, but some people do it and it's dangerous.

good luck
rongee68

sticking front caliper

Post by rongee68 »

thanks for your advice, disc replace is the only thing i can now think of. thanks again
deian

Post by deian »

how is it sticking? is it like catching in some areas? or constantly sticking.... if it's just in parts then the disc might be warped for some reason... thats why the disc could be the last resort.... did you 'reuse' any of the older springs/fittings/bolts etc?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I don't quite see how a disc could cause sticking unless it is very warped (which you'd feel) or has a very deep wear ridge that is catching the pad and snagging it.

I have just replaced the front discs on my TD as they were both warped (causing juddering) and badly worn with a deep wear ridge.

What was quite shocking was these were Brembos I replaced about 18 months ago and the pads out-wore the discs :shock:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rongee68

Post by rongee68 »

sticking not the right word, binding is what i should have said.
disc is worn but there is only a tiny ridge as ive ground it away. there is no judder, it was a second hand caliper i put on complete with its springs ect. orignal caliper i had to bits and cleaned so its not piston thats sticking. thanks for your replies ron
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ron - you've had a PM waiting for long :!:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the usual things that make BX/XANTIA front brakes bind (1) cables (2)calliper slides (3) pads stuck in calliper, very very unlikly discs can cause this
regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Wonder if it needs a new hose (collapsed internally)....
Richard W
rongee68

Post by rongee68 »

thanks guys for info, will have another look. collapsed hose sounds interesting, slides pads and cables all free ron
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

yeah defiantly check the brake hose i had this on a car a few years ago and it took me ages to find the problem, the hose inside had started to break up and was restricting the fluid.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep hose is another posible fault, check how much fluid comes out when trying to bleed that calliper
regards malcolm