New Sphere Time?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

New Sphere Time?

Post by BrianM »

Over the last few weeks I have noticed the comfort of my 97 Xantia TD get gradually worse. Citroebics helps for a short while. Current spheres are on 20 months and have 72K on them - they are non genuine spheres. Fluid is due a change too - but looks good and green !.

Brian

97 Xantia TD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The spheres take the place of springs on a normal car - so with the engine running it should be possible to compress each corner as you would with a steel sprung car. If its rock solid - sphere has ruptured its diaphragm.

There are many other causes of rough ride - like the height corrector being siezed - causing the thing to ride ast an incorrect height. Raising the car and then putting it in its normal position may get the thing at or beyond its correct height and provide a temporary improvement in ride till it drops again.

Old front struts can get stiff before they leak. Some suggest they can be lubricated -

Searches on the above topics will yield results that will provide many happy hours of reading.
jeremy
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Spheres are not gone hard - more soft than anything else - also feel bumps would not have felt before - almost as if car is bottoming out.

Brian
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Gone soft AND you're feeling every bump?? something strange here...

Quick question...is it a VSX/Exclusive?
deian

Post by deian »

I need to follow this thread too, my ride has gone worse recently too.

BrianM - when you do citrobeotics do you look into the LHM tank to look for bubbles/froth? This would indicate one of two things... 1 ruptures sphere/s (one or more), or a leak from the pump drawin air into the system... hence the crappy ride.

There are numerous tests one can make to test the suspension, but as Phil said we need to know if it's an Exclusive/VSX version, the reason he is asking this is because if it is, then you have Hydractive II (soft/hard mode) which would involve a centre sphere for the comfort mode, which make a big difference from what i've heard, not tested the theory myself but I think the time is coming to change my centre ones.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Thanks all,

Car is a standard LX. Tiny bubbles in the LHM tank alright, but not causing a big froth. Irish roads, 72K miles on them I thought that the best life could be gone in the spheres - bought car @112K and all the spheres were rock solid !

Brian

97 Xantia TD LX
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Bounce each corner with the engine runing, you should have at least 4" of movement, probably more at the back. 72k is a reasonable mileage for spheres, so wouldn't be surprised if they need changing.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Replaced all 4 - vast improvement. Got a LHM shower from one of the rears so that one had its day. Little bubbles have stopped in the tank too.

Brian
97 Xantia TD
Rob_e (UK)
My Cars:

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

It might be worth bleeding the rear brakes if one of the sphere had ruptured. I would have thought if enough gas had come out to give bubbles in the tank there is a reasonable chance some may have got in to the rear brake circuit.

Rob
1989 White BX 1.9GTi 8v (Now awaiting some repair)