Paint

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04a
My Cars:

Paint

Post by mezuk04a »

Apologies as its not car related but I need wisdomful people.

Me and the other half painted the hall/stairs with paint at the weekend, two coats and ontop of an existing paint. (Exactly the same as when we painted the chimney breast wall, except different choice in colour).

The finish has become really bad with little cracks all over and we have no idea why...the future mother in law suggests damp in the walls but with no existing stains or suspected problems im not sure.

Any Ideas....

To bring this back into car territory, we are thinking about painting the same colour on my BIL's Xantia. :lol: :wink: :P
Golf 55' 1.9TD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is it an own brand DIY store emulsion type paint?
jeremy
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

It is Dulux manually made to the colour we wanted in the Focus store, its matt (emulsion) just like when we did the chimney.

I just cant work out why the chimney wall is fine when we did it and this has turned all cracky.
Golf 55' 1.9TD
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The paint has dried out too fast or you applied second coat before the first was dried out adequately.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Thanks very much for your comments and apologies for it being off topic.

The better half has applied another coat to see if it will disappear.
Golf 55' 1.9TD
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

It's likely to be a compatability problem: the same thing happens if you spray your car with cellulose over oil based paint without applying an isolater coat-little cracks appear all over, and the surface can become crinkly.

There's something underneath the new paint which is reacting with it and causing the cracking: it could be anything, possibly an incompatible paint type or more likely a dirty or oily film on the surface that's built up over the years. Old paint should always be given a really good clean up before new paint goes on top.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the same also happens when spraying a laqure coat on a car if you put to many coats on
regards malcolm