xantia ride height changes by itself

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

xantia ride height changes by itself

Post by wonderd »

From reading here i assume it's a H/C problem, but i want to get your advise about it first:
sometimes, the car's suspension is a little stiff, when i come to a full stop with the engine still running i notice that the front end is lowering down a little.
It's like the citroen has landed...., when i get out to look at the height of the car - it looks o.k., therefore i believe that while the car is moving, it's a little high but when i stop it goes back to normal height.

Thank you,
Elad.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

What kind of circumstances trigger it ?

Unfortunately occasional height corrections at the front while driving can happen - the most common is that if you turn the steering on full lock on a Xantia it will lift the height up a couple of inches, then when you straighten out it will lower it again.

If there is a small error in ride height while you're driving and you're driving on continously undulating surfaces the height corrector wont get a chance to correct it properly as the undulations keep "resetting" the height correctors time delay, but then when you come to a full stop it finally makes a small adjustment.

Squat at the front under extended hard braking can cause the height corrector to correct the height up a bit higher, then when you come to a stop you are too high and it corrects down slightly. Doesn't seem to happen often on my car though.

If you have this just happening from time to time its nothing to worry about, if its happening a lot there could be something going on. More likely its sticky struts than a height corrector problem.

By the way if you got out to look at the car there would be a further height correction taking place when you got out - thus invalidating the test :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

the main problem is that the ride is a bit harsh and not as comfortable as it supposed to be.
I don't think resetting the height to a lower point would do any good (would it?).

I replaced the spheres a month ago because i thought they might be the reason for the harshness but it didn't change.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If the spheres have been replaced (and they're the right types....) and the ride height is ok then its most likely a mechanical problem such as rollbar droplinks at the front and/or rear arm bearings at the rear.

Can you describe the harshness a bit, and is the car Hydractive 2 or not ? (If it is, there are additional things that can go wrong...)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deian

Post by deian »

Which spheres did you replace? If all, then it will be a mechanical problem, unless you are getting air into the system from the pump inlet.

If some of the spheres weren't replaced then these may be leaking, causing air in the lhm, not good you see.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

it's a 2.0L 16V 1996 not Hydractive 2, all the spheres have been replaced within the last 6 months, they are good.
the suspension is a bit hard - i feel every bump on the road and it's not as smooth as a 'normal' citroen.
about the ride height - i think that while driving, the car is raised and that's how it feels.
after reading the posts here about air in the system i checked and it's clean. no air is coming in.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99