ZX front suspension knocking/vibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

picknmix

ZX front suspension knocking/vibration

Post by picknmix »

Ii've got a '94 zx with a 1.9td (not quite a 69 chevy with a 396 Bruce, but I like it). Anyway the NS suspension knocks and the car vibrates/rumbles from that area with the engine under load. I've eliminated the antiroll bar, and droplinks as causes (disconnected them for a while) and also the lower suspension arm was replaced a while ago so that should be ok. Any suggestions would be welcome.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Disconnected droplinks & ARB - and drove away in the car :shock:
That MUST have been a near 2CV experience :lol:

Anyways it seems you've got a worn out CV joint. Not unlikely on a '94 car.

PS : the ZX is a light car, should in fact be a quickie with a 1.9TD.
Me thinks you are a bit spoiled, just wait until you get a bigger car. Anything bigger than your ZX will feels sloooooow 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
picknmix

Post by picknmix »

Thanks AndersDK. Are you sure about this one? - no strange noises when cornering.
Can i remove it and try driving without, to see if the noise goes. :wink:

Cheers again
srx600

Post by srx600 »

Is the nosie mainly at low revs in higher gears. I spent ages trying to trace a grumbling noise, eventually traced it to the calipers rattling on the sliders. Greased the sliders and the noise cleared itself.
picknmix

Post by picknmix »

Thanks mate. It is mainly at low revs in higher gears, when engine is labouring. If you change down it disappears. The noise is quite noticeable, could it still be as you suggest? All ideas welcome, I havent dismissed the CV joint yet, just not had chance to get my scuba gear on, dive down and check it out more!
picknmix

Post by picknmix »

Ok guys, i'm through my MOT and looking forward to another year of happy ZX motoring. So I need to return to my noisy cv joint! Can I ignore it or does it suddenly break? Also assuming I do get it changed, can someone advise on the job ie whole shaft or just the joint, ease, time, expense etc

thank you
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

If the joints knackered go to the scrapyard and get another. Its probably cheaper than replacing the cv joint and far less messy. Make sure you check it doesn't click and that the threads are intact though. I got given a cross threaded one a while back and three big blokes who worked there came out to deal with me when I brought it back. We had a hell of an argument as I don't find big blokes in their place of work in broad daylight intimmidating at all, but it could have been avoided if I'd checked it in the first place.
You can check it quite easily. Get a friend to roll the car back and forward on full lock and get your ear as close to it as is safe. You can usually hear a cv joint then. Sometimes they go in a weird way you cant hear though. I had a o/s one that was knackered and all it did was make the gearstick shake around everywhere. Don't understand why but replacing the driveshaft cured it.
To totally confirm, take it off and rotate the cv joint around its extremity if it grinds and clicks or feels notchy its kaput.
I know this may sound a little patronising, please don't be patronised, are your tyres in good nick? Is the tracking and balancing right? With these being far less work I personally would check that first.
picknmix

Post by picknmix »

thanks for your reply elma. Not patronised at all but tyres are fairly new, balanced and tracked. I'll do the test as advised, will it show up the inner joint if that's where the fault lies and assuming i replace the whole shaft, how difficult/time consuming is it? (i'm reasonably handy!!)
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Its really easy and doesn't take all that long.
Only tough bit is undoing the hubnut.
Don't think its very good workmanship but I couldn't undo mine jumping on a 5ft bar so resorted to using the cars weight and the floor to do it.