overheating Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

overheating Xantia

Post by fangy »

Hello,
If I drive my Xantia over 60 mph it starts to overheat, below 60 the car always stays about 80 degrees, even in stop and go traffic but as soon as it goes over 60mph the temperature starts to rise and the only way to cool it down is to slow to 60 or below. The cooling fans are working and theres plenty of water in the radiator, could this be the thermostat that causing this kind of behavior?
Thanks,
Fangy.
95 Xantia VSX 1.9td, Fj1100, z-750 hardtail
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Possibly yes.
The thermostat may not open fully, or the lower tubes of the radiator blocked with mud.
I’ve had an old bomb overheat at speed because most of the radiator’s cooling fins had dissolved.
Simplest is to first flush the radiator, and ensure the venting of all air at refill.
With a bit of luck, the 1995 radiator has a drain tap at the bottom, on the battery side.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Does the car have aircon??

If yes then pull the clips holding the rad still and move the red back a bit, then if you look down between the rad and the aircon condensor you will find feathers, muck crisp packets and all sorts down here. Give it all a good clean up and normal temperatures should resume.

Regards
Slim.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its done more than 100k chances are it needs a new radiator.
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

I would agree with Peter on that.

But I'm no expert and its of no great benefit to have me on a side :cry:
Golf 55' 1.9TD
fangy

Post by fangy »

I've had a quick look at the rad, and all seems to be ok, the car doesn't have air con so I'll start with the cheaper option and flush the radiator, if that doesn't fix things I'll change the thermostat, failing that, the cars done more than 100k so I guess it'll be a new radiator. When will it end...?
Thanks for everyones help,
Fangy.
95 Xantia VSX 1.9td, Fj1100, z-750 hardtail
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Unfortunately the answer to that is simple, particularly if you have a TD. And the answer is a boiled engine and possible head gasket failure. Cooling problems need sorting with urgency! For the sake of a few quid, buy a new thermostat anyway. You'll have the coolant out to flush the system so there is no point in not changing the thermostat at the same time. Flush and back flush the radiator and heater matrix and don't forget to drain the block (it holds a lot of water). Then fill with decent antifreeze and good quality water. If you have any misgivings on the cleanliness of the rad, squirt it clean. Keep your fingers crossed and test drive...
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...