ML5T Gearchange Problem?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

ML5T Gearchange Problem?

Post by CitroJim »

I've a bit of an issue with the gearchange in my Activa. This is the first car I've had with the cable operated ML5 'box.

Gear selection is generally OK but often it's a bit "baulky" going into third on down-changes, accompanied by a gentle crunch, particularly if I'm being a bit enthusiastic :) All other gears are fine but very occasionally, first and reverse can be a bit of a struggle.

After the rod operated BE3 gearchange, I've often felt the ML5 is a rather "sloppy" in comparason.

I don't think the synchro is at fault because double-declutching does not help and I'm used to doing this on my GTi :lol:

Grateful for opinions on the quality of the gearchange I should expect and any checks/adjustments to the cables I may be able to make to improve matters.

Thanks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The change is supposed to be a step up from the BE3, but the cables do stretch over time, and this often leads to problems with selection of of some gears - particularly reverse. AFAIK there is no adjustment on the cables, so they have to be replaced. Trouble is, they only come as a complete set with new gear lever (cost about £250) and you need to take the entire exhaust and heat shields off to change them :roll:

Having said that, I have seen a post about a Pug that was giving trouble (to the extent that an extra cable had to be rigged via the window to allow selection of reverse!) and the cables were available separately for that (at something more reasonable like £65) - might be worth pursuing to see if it'll fit the Xantia!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard :)

Now that is interesting going on what you said about the Pug. I've just had a look in pr.net (sorry, I still call it that :) ) and see that before RP7998 the cables and selector box are only available as a single, complete unit. Later cars have a different arrangement where the cables are available as separate items. In fact, everything is available as a separate item.

They're a bit juicy on price at £65 each but that is better than £317 for the earlier complete unit :evil:

One of the rare occasions where you're better off with a very late model :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jim this issue has been up before.

Cant remember if it was Slim, Pugxpert or Malcolm who explained how it was possible to adjust the selection. Anyhow I believe it was on a reverse gear selector problem on a ML5.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Found it (I was looking on another forum :oops: )

Pug gear problem
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Anders, Richard,

Many thanks :D Now if only it would stop raining :evil:

EDIT: Just closely read that thread and picked up the bit about the gearbox oil deteriorating and affecting third gear.

I think an oil change is on the cards.
Jim