Xantia indicator relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xf8u

Xantia indicator relay

Post by xf8u »

Every few minutes the indicator relay starts clicking very rapidly even without moving the stork to indicate.
I replaced the relay with a spare and exactly the same thing happens.
Could it be the contacts on the stork or dodgy wiring that is causing this
Thanks
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I have had this occur on several PSA vehicles; intermittent and then goes away. Never resolved the problem, but I feel it is wiring/switching related.
Every few minutes the indicator relay starts clicking very rapidly even without moving the stork to indicate.
I replaced the relay with a spare and exactly the same thing happens.
Could it be the contacts on the stork or dodgy wiring that is causing this
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Although it has so far not happened to me, I understand this is a very common problem and is caused by the stalk itself.

There have been several other posts in the past dealing with this:

Try this one for starters:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ator+click

And then this one:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ator+click

Hope this helps...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yep, it's the indicator switch causing it. You should find it will stop if you wiggle the switch up and down. If you're lucky you might also get a burning smell and some wisps of smoke out of the switch :lol:

I replaced the swtich on mine the other week because it jammed eventually. I took the old one apart (pretty easy to carefully spring the clips and lift the top off) - the indicators are operated by pin running between 2 tracks. There was quite a lot of evidence of burning around the tracks, and they were filled with gunk - I guess the switch partially makes, then when the relay tries to pull in there isn't enough current to support it, so it drops out again, when there is enough current to pull it in again...ad naseum :roll: . You might be able to clean the tracks / pin up enough to stop it clicking. Getting the swtich out is not too bad - need to remove the steering wheel, but that's easy enough actually (the most difficult part was removing the cable connector to the PCB for the steering controls - you need to lift up the pin in the clip). Don't forget to leave the nut on the end of the shaft whilst you jar the wheel off the splines - otherwise it can wreck the air bag cables, and biff you on the chin! Getting the column shrouds back on is a bit trying though :twisted:
Richard W