Xantia 1.9TD Oil Leak rear of engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UFO
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Oil Leak rear of engine

Post by UFO »

A nearby friend has a '95 or thereabouts 1.9TD Xantia and he commented today that there is a slow leak at the rear of the engine somewhere above the turbo (is this right? Is the turbo at the rear? I thought it was in front?)

Anyway, he reports that the leak drops a small quantity of oil onto the exhaust and provides the typical resultant smell. I suspect either a failed rocker cover gasket or perhaps an oil pressure sensor. Could one of the diesel knowledgeable people on here please comment?

Thanks! :D
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It could be the rocker cover, however, leaks from the headgasket down the back of the engine are not uncommon :cry: - you can usually see this by looking up from below and the block is wet, but the head is dry. Mind you, if it's dripping on the exhaust then it might be the rocker cover - they can be a PITA to get oil tight.
Richard W
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

What Richard said and possibly oil running out of the inlet manifold gasket too, its always oily in there.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Thanks all for the speedy responses. I will pass them onto the owner.

For your interest, the owner is a farrier, who has a LONG history in Citroens, having owned Tractions, DS/ID, GS and onto the third Xantia in his family.

His old Hydraulique DS Safari is still parked up under the trees slowly disappearing into the ground. The DS was his farrier's "truck" for many years until the rego inspection guy said to him "this is the last year this gets by". A Toyota Hilux was the intervening and unloved work wagon and now his Xantia TD does a lovely job of ferrying farrier gear from stable to stable around the local countryside. Nothing but the best for this bloke!

His wife drives a very nice S2 2l Xantia Exclusive having worn out their early S1 8valve auto.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

a good idea would be to gunk the engine and powerwash it, then run it to find out where the leak is. Normally it is the rocker cover gasket.

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,