Chose the wrong car this morning!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Chose the wrong car this morning!!

Post by CitroJim »

It rained a bit last night :twisted:

This morning at 7AM I started off for my 6 mile journey to work as normal. I chose the GTi as it was most accessible. I opend the door to be greeted by a big puddle in the rear passenger footwell :evil:

Mopped up, I began my journey and got to within half a mile of work and my way was barred because of a flood. Turned around and tried an alternative route, more floods. Yet another alternative route, yet more floods blocking my progress :evil: :evil:

Called into work to say I'll be late and discovered the one route I was certain would be blocked by floods was in fact clear :roll:

I eventually made it into work an hour and a half late after a 55 mile tour!!!

If there was ever a morning I should have taken the Xantia it was this one. Suspension on high I could have waded the floods that halted the GTi with no bother at all!!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

The Only Way Is Up.......!

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes, I was thinking about this very aspect when looking at the news today.

It's great to be able to move a lever, and get the ground clearance 8) of a larger vehicle. :wink:
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 09 Jul 2007, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Very deep flooding a few years back saw me pop the electric switch on my Cx Safari onto
high whilst I drove towards it and I carried on through serenely without a pause! Actually
it was very deep and at one point must have been just above the sill - the bow wave ran
midway up the car's doors on the sides... blink.gif

There'd just been a lot of salting/gritting on the roads and I'm sure this rain water did a
marvelous job cleaning it all off being blasted up onto the underside of the car, though in
hindsight I didn't think about the exhaust at the time being filled up (!!) but it didn't seem
to suffer the water around it!!

I can still picture the fella who followed in behind me as he seemed to disappear and stall
getting well stuck, though I can't recall what he was driving now. Moral of the story is don't
follow a Hydraulic Cit into a flood/ford in a 'normal' car!!

Yep, I still have an evil chuckle thinking about this even now!!

Andrew
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ahhh the usefullness of hydropnuematic suspension :D

Just been thinking of it lately sa i used to go thru a ford in the lakes which has been upto 4' deep but the most i redd vaenture thru on was about 22" and that was hair raising but i didnt worry too much as i waded in in 2nd gear and not on the top notch on the xantia (the ride is far too hard on that level to be of any use other than a spare tyre change :) ) It was nice watching the people at the side of the ford look on as the steam came of the exhaust and the car just ploughed thru! not something i wold have dared try in a petrol xantia or the like :)
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

....DER.....How Deep Is It ?

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well on this clip it looks like they chose the wrong driver !

With the wrong technique.... Too Fast....

Not paying attention to his bow wave !

Under estimating the depth of the water.

Who also sped up too much while in the water.

Their jackets are the only things that were bright in the clip. :wink:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: =D> \:D/

OMG poor bastards :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I suppose I should almost call this "Tip of the week."

Back in the days when it used to rain out here, I had to travel a lot of roads that flooded constantly. I've found over the years that driving a hydraulic Cit through deep water leaves one nasty side effect that you don't find out about for a couple of months and that is water gets into the rear arm bearings, so as soon as it fines up, I'd suggest a bit of preventative maintenance before we get another spate of threads about why the tyres are wearing on one side on the rear wheels. :roll:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Not a video, but a series of pics, showing a DK police squad ending up in a creek :lol:
http://www.112alarm.dk/2007/aaen1/aaen1.htm

In essence what happens is, the police squad is chasing a stolen scooter. Both parties are ending up on small gravel roads, right until the road makes a 90deg turn to run along a creek.
Neither the scooter driver or the squad recognises the situation before its too late :lol:
The police car driver just about made it with the front bumper above the water, and the squad had time to abandon the car, before it calmly slid down the muddy bank into the creek.

.. they caught the scooter driver after all :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
alexp-j
My Cars:

Re: Chose the wrong car this morning!!

Post by alexp-j »

citrojim wrote:It rained a bit last night :twisted:

This morning at 7AM I started off for my 6 mile journey to work as normal. I chose the GTi as it was most accessible. I opend the door to be greeted by a big puddle in the rear passenger footwell :evil:

Mopped up, I began my journey and got to within half a mile of work and my way was barred because of a flood. Turned around and tried an alternative route, more floods. Yet another alternative route, yet more floods blocking my progress :evil: :evil:
Interesting, because the other day it was pouring down all day & I went through about a foot of water & roads for rivers in the Scénic near work (wouldn't have chanced it in the Goodwood), but drove 10 miles towards Northampton & it was as dry as a bone, not a drop all day
<GONE>1991 Peugeot 106 1.1 Carb</GONE>
<GONE>2004 Peugeot 307 SW 2.0 Hdi</GONE>
1995 Peugeot 106 Ski 1.5 D
2006 FIAT Panda 1.3 MultiJet
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Thanks for that AndersDK that's an interesting set of pictures of the DK police in action ! :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

andmcit wrote:Very deep flooding a few years back saw me pop the electric switch on my Cx Safari onto
high whilst I drove towards it and I carried on through serenely without a pause! Actually
it was very deep and at one point must have been just above the sill - the bow wave ran
midway up the car's doors on the sides... blink.gif

There'd just been a lot of salting/gritting on the roads and I'm sure this rain water did a
marvelous job cleaning it all off being blasted up onto the underside of the car, though in
hindsight I didn't think about the exhaust at the time being filled up (!!) but it didn't seem
to suffer the water around it!!

I can still picture the fella who followed in behind me as he seemed to disappear and stall
getting well stuck, though I can't recall what he was driving now. Moral of the story is don't
follow a Hydraulic Cit into a flood/ford in a 'normal' car!!

Yep, I still have an evil chuckle thinking about this even now!!

Andrew
See Anton Rogers' clip at about 5' 30" in this Youtube clip.