XSARA Radio replacment.... help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fishtales
My Cars:

XSARA Radio replacment.... help

Post by Fishtales »

Hi all, first time here.
I know this has been asked a million times before but there seems to be several (often contradictory) answers!

I have just swapped my trusty ZX with 156000 on the clock for a shinny new (by my standards) Xsara 1.4 LX. The car has the standard Citroen radio/cassette player and the remote controls on a stalk on the steering column (not on the wheel itself). As the Xsara is a 51 plate Jan 2002 model I assume it uses the multiplex wiring system.

I have a Sony CDX-L580X that I want to use instead of the standard unit, this also has a remote control input (3.5mm jack on the back) so I would like to keep the steering wheel controls if possible.

My questions are:
1) The Citroen unit has what looks like the standard ISO connection pair on the back along with another connector that is split into three, one is not used and I assume one is for the BSI bus and the other for the steering control. Can I plug the two car ISO connectors directly into the Sony adapter lead (Sony <-> ISO adapter)?
2) Do I need to swap the ACC and PERM lead over on the adapter?
3) Do I need to run a permanent live feed from somewhere else?
4) Do I need to get the cars BSI interface re-programmed by Citroen (sounds expensive)?
5) What is the best way to adapt the steering controls to the Sony unit, there seems to be a number of adapters on the market, which one is better? I do intend to swap the Sony for a different USB input unit when funds allow, this may not be another Sony.
6) I have tried to fit the Sony into the car, it goes in but does not seem to fit very well. The Sony unit seems to sit quite deep in the dashboard, is there an adapter I need?

I desperation I popped in to the local Citroen dealer, there "expert" is away at the moment and no one else could help.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
His: 2002 XSARA 1.4LX
Hers: 1998 1.4ZX
Had: 1992 1.4 ZX 156000 miles and still going strong.
BX Athena 1.6
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

5) What is the best way to adapt the steering controls to the Sony unit, there seems to be a number of adapters on the market, which one is better? I do intend to swap the Sony for a different USB input unit when funds allow, this may not be another Sony.
6) I have tried to fit the Sony into the car, it goes in but does not seem to fit very well. The Sony unit seems to sit quite deep in the dashboard, is there an adapter I need?
See my reply to the 'mk2 xantia radio options' post.

You can see the part numbers you need for Autoleads fascia adapters and remote control adapter cables
ImageImage
Fishtales
My Cars:

Post by Fishtales »

Thanks Ross, will pop down to Halfords tomorrow!
His: 2002 XSARA 1.4LX
Hers: 1998 1.4ZX
Had: 1992 1.4 ZX 156000 miles and still going strong.
BX Athena 1.6