406 no brake lights

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

droylsden dave
My Cars:

406 no brake lights

Post by droylsden dave »

Basically, high level light works but the one on each light cluster doesnt. Checked bulbs, no joy, fuses all look ok. Been told it could be brake switch, went to get one of "many" from the scrappers and he cant find em, but he reckons it wont be the switch, SO where do i go from here. A mate is looking at it this weekend hopefully.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Also while im here, headlights work full beam, but on dipped the drivers side doesnt, new bulbs and checked they work and it still doesnt work. Is it the relay? Got 1 from a scrapper but i think its not the same. Where is the relay located for a p Reg96 1.8 petrol?

Any help is greatly welcome, Thanks for your replies
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dave,

Although I have no experience of 406 electrics, if the hi-level one works then the switch must be OK, logically.

I'd suspect a duff earth around the rear lamp clusters and possibly an iffy contact on one or another of the plugs on the clusters. They're not exactly well engineered!

I'd be looking for a duff earth causing your headlamp problem too.

If 406s are anything like 205s then 99.9% of electrical problems come down to bad earths in the end :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

It seems that the Xantia has a lot of earth points located next to the battery on the inner N/S wing.

So do PSA use the same method on Peugeot electrics ?

This is obviously not all the earthing points, but is a good idea. 8)
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

The signs are that it is an earthing problem.

Have you tested the feed to each rear light with a circuit tester ?