1997 2.1TD Xantia Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

h2ocooler
My Cars:

1997 2.1TD Xantia Problems

Post by h2ocooler »

HI had to replace the alternator belt tensioner on my 2.1 TD Xantia and it took over a week to get on and get round to fit it, during that time the car sat with the battery and ECU dissconnected, just put it all back together and when i turn the ignition on all i get is the Battery light, no other warning lights at all, the code pad works and takes the code ok and the starter turns the engine but it wont start (dont even get the glow plug light)
I have checked all the connections and they are ok, armed and disarmed the alarm but still nothing.
Anyone know what the problem could be?????

Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds very much like the ignition switch has thrown in the towel, it looks like only those things that become live on position I of the switch are working and position II is not playing.

This may all be connected with the infamous heater blower problem where the switch as burned out from carrying the high currents needed for some years.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Could that have been caused by it not being turned for about 2 weeks, its just sat there all alone :cry:
Is there any way to bypass it before i get a new switch??
Rob
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the switch had not given any prob before it is very unlikely its the switch now,may be its a fault with the imoberliser,first thing i would do is double check all the contting wires around the battery area
regards malcolm

ps.
before any of the above try disconecting the battery and reconectting it
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It amazes me sometimes Rob, how things just give up the ghost when unused :?

Yes, you could bypass it but I'd not personally. You'll draw quite an arc(due to the current drawn) doing it and this could well lead to more problems further down the road. Spade connector don't take kindly to being subjected to arcs

Better to take a few voltage measurements around the switch and what it feeds with a test lamp or meter. Have you the wiring diarams to hand? The ones in the BoL are a bit hard to read but they'll help immesurably.

I wonder too if you might have disturbed something in doing the original job although it is hard to see how as all the electrics are over the other side of the engine bay :?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Well went back to it and gave the ignition switch a good workout and she came to life!!! looks like a new switch needed!
Thanks for the help citrojim

Rob
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Rob :D

Very pleased that one is resolved!
Jim