Xantia indicator switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia indicator switch

Post by RichardW »

I replaced the duff indicator switch in my Xantia last night. It's easy enough, although getting the column shrouds back on led me to loudly questioning the parentage of the designer :twisted:

Out of interest I stripped the old switch to try and find out why it had jammed. Not really clear, but there was plenty of evidence of build of crud and burnt material in the indicator switch track (the indicator part just works by a pin sliding between a pair of brass tracks). Getting the swtich apart is easy, so I would recommend that if you occasionally get the fast ticking of the flasher relay, then remove the switch, take the top off and clean out the track. Should stop the ticking and hopefully stop it jamming like mine did.

Of course I have managed to get the steering wheel back on a spline out, so need to take it off again :roll:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This reminded me of the same job I did on my old 405TD years ago sitting in my works car park in the pouring rain. The switch mechanisms are pretty much the same. It was so long ago I'd completely forgotten.

It worked fine right up until a few months ago when the car was sold so it is a long-lasting repair.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rlatarche

Post by rlatarche »

I've a 1.9td 1996 Xantia and my indicator stalk is knackered - do I need to remove the steering wheel or can I just removing the cowling to replace the column stalk?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

rlatarche wrote:I've a 1.9td 1996 Xantia and my indicator stalk is knackered - do I need to remove the steering wheel or can I just removing the cowling to replace the column stalk?
Wheel off on MK1 cars.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

rlatarche wrote:do I need to remove the steering wheel or can I just removing the cowling to replace the column stalk?
Yes, unfortunately as the cowls won't come off until the wheel is off. That's only the case on the MK1. They corrected the glaring error on the MK2...

Steering wheel is easy enough though.

Disconnect battery, rotate the wheel 90 degrees, loosen the two Torx bolts (T35?) accessible through holes in the back of the wheel that secure the airbag. Lift airbag forward and carefully disconnect the orange connector to it and place it somewhere safe. Then very carefully disconnect the radio controls.

Loosen the 21mm wheel nut and using your fist, bump the back of the wheel spokes until the wheel is free of it's splines. Then remove the nut and lift the wheel away. If you remove the nut fully before bumping the Wheel loose you'll end up with the wheel in your face and it hurts!

Undo the two screws at the base of the steering wheel cowls and carefully remove the top part. Then locate the screw securing the bottom cowl on the right-hand side and remove that. Remove the lower cowl after disconnecting the light dimmer rheostat.

Now you can do the stalk...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rlatarche

Post by rlatarche »

Thanks for the detailed responses - looks like a nice afternoon of work. Any advice on getting a replacement indicator switch/stalk?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Depends what's up with yours as to whether it can be repaired.
If not, is there a scrappy near you that lets people take the parts off cars rather than doing it for you?
Would be good to practice on a scrapped car than your own too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
rlatarche

Post by rlatarche »

not many scrap yards up in sleepy suffolk. The indicator stuck on then with a wee bit of persuading turned off, a few days later its done same again and wont turn off - this time no matter what I do to the stalk it wont turn the indicator off. Feels like something mechanical has gone on inside the switch. Went to go around a roundabout when turning the wheel the autocancel part must have caught and I couldnt turn the steering wheel it was locked in the position until i used some serious force in order to get around the roundabout! scary stuff!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

GSF do the switches at a reasonable price.
If buying a used one, watch out because there are several variants of the switch. Early ones don't have the fog light ring, later ones do. Mk2 switches don't have the horn button. I think there may be another variant I have forgotten.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Jim. Is that method the same for removing an S2 Activa steering wheel? I read there's a steering sensor of some form so the activa/hydractive system knows when to stiffen up. So what other steps are there when taking off an Activa wheel?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I've had two indicator stalks on the ZX in the (nearly) six years I've had it. First one for an indicator short, the second for the horn button. Was a genuine Valeo part from GSF too - wasn't impressed.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Dommo wrote:Jim. Is that method the same for removing an S2 Activa steering wheel? I read there's a steering sensor of some form so the activa/hydractive system knows when to stiffen up. So what other steps are there when taking off an Activa wheel?
On the Mk2, there is a big torx screw holding the wheel, instead of the 21mm nut.

The steering angle sensor (a grey plastic ring around the column) comes off after the wheel but before the switches. It is held by 3 screws, and just pulls off.