Buying a 406 any tips?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maddave

Buying a 406 any tips?

Post by maddave »

Hi, I used to have a pug 405 and it was the best car I ever had! Unfortunately the gear box died so I sold it on. I have a Seat Leon at the minute but I need to sell it to help fund a flat purchase. I therefore need a cheap run around so thinking of getting a 406.

I only have a grand to spend so whats the most 406 I can get for this money and anything I should look out for? I will be commuting and doing some motorway driving so thinking a diesel will be more economical.

Ah.... its good to be back on these forums!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome back!

If you had a 405 then with a 406 much the same applies overall. The rear suspension is a bit different and bushes can wear I believe.

A grand should get you a decent diesel but you may like to consider a Xantia perhaps? A grand will get you much more Xantia than 406. It really depends if you can live with the higher maintenance demands of a Xantia though.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
djheath

Post by djheath »

For some reason my login has locked me out, so I am now reregistered under Djheath.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with the 406 rather than the Xantia. I feel I need a car that wont need regular work to keep it on the road, so costs are kept low.

Thanks for the help.

David.
lanciak69
My Cars:

Post by lanciak69 »

same thing happened to me locked me out said baned from forum but when i hit login it lets me in strange :roll: :?:
IF I CAN HELP I WILL
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Alternatively, buy another 405. A grand will buy you the best 405 TD there is, and still leave you enough to tax and insure it for the year (maybe).

405's are definitely easier and cheaper to work on than 406's.
This is not a signature.