2.1td and veg oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

2.1td and veg oil

Post by davethewheel »

i've had a problem with my 2.1td xantia now for a while and i'm convinced that it's to do with the epic fuel pump so i've been think of changing it for a mechanical one that will be able to take veg oil, am i right in thinking that i'll need a bosch pump and injectors from a xm or will the pump from anything else work, has anyone done this before and is there anything else i'm likely to need, i've heard that the rev counter wont work if i change the pump but i guess i can live with this. :D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A mechanical pump from an XM should do the job only if you fit a Bosch you will also have to change the injector pipes as the injection sequence is different. The rev counter is normally driven by the TDC sensor, if it isn't on the EPIC, the sensor is the same for both types, so it shouldn't be difficult to rewire it.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

so would i also need to change the injectors or just the pipes, i'm sure the rev counter is picked up from the epic pump somewhere ,if so will it be possible to use a senor that picks up from the flywheel like it is on the 1.9td, not sure if this will work on mine as the gear box is the same one that is fitted to a hdi.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No, you dont need to change the injectors, just the pipes. You can bend the old ones and make them fit but the engine wont run because the fuel is going to the wrong injectors at the wrong time...guess how I know :x The TDC sensor is the same on both engines, I had an EPIC engine here and used the sensor from it to replace the faulty one on my mechanically governed one because the rev counter didn't work. Its quite easy to locate the leads, there is a 2 pin plug on the end of the cylinder head just above the gearbox, all you have to do is find the leads from the rev counter. :(
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Im sure myself thru readings on here that the pump gives a feed to some onboard computer as to what its doing and thus the revs are picked up from that. Are there any other things to worry about though with the epic pump being ECU controlled im not sure but i would imagine you would need the pump, the injectors and the pipes and some new leak off pipes as well but im not sure how well the pump itself would cope with veggie oil :(

Are you planning to heat it up or twin tank it or just put SVo in the tank right off?
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i didn't think that the epic version had a tdc sensor i thought it was a signal from the pump, what would happen to the injector with the sensor on it would that just be disconnected ,i was hoping to just put the veg oil straight into the tank and mix it with normal fuel, i thought that the bosch pump could cope with this?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ill ask on the veggie oil forum and find out for you but im not sure it will do it without checking. is it the same pump as fitted to the 1.9td engines as if so then it will be fine :)