Xantia Airbag light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekaftan
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2006 C5 II Exclusive V6
1996 Volvo 940

Xantia Airbag light

Post by ekaftan »

I just agreed to buy a 2002 2.016v SX Xantia with a blinking airbag light. Price is low enough to take the chance, but anyway, can I get some info from the way it blinks?

Most posts here say the light blinks for a while and then goes on permanently. How long is that 'while'? this one I drove for 10 minutes and it was still blinking. Is that a mayor fault?

And last... how much is a used airbag from a breaker?

thanks.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There must be about 20 cases of airbag light in the archives here, and there has never been one that was fixed by changing the airbag.

The cause seems be be evenly split between the pre-tensioner connectors under the seats, and the rotary connector behind the steering wheel.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Airbag light

Post by CitroJim »

ekaftan wrote: And last... how much is a used airbag from a breaker?
I've heard it said to NEVER use a second-hand airbag but why not if the provenence of the bag is known?

If it has not been in a crash and has not been soaked then why not?

On a very late Xantia (2002? That must have been a very late one!) with side airbags, it is worth checking the connections to and around the trigger unit in the centre console under the oddment tray.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i also belive it might sometimes be caused by the dreaded ignition switch,as on the one i am now driving if it starts flashing i turn the ignition off and back on the light goes out normaly,mind you stop the car before turnning the ignition off though,this also seeems to affect the heater fan and rear screen demister
regards malcolm
ekaftan
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2006 C5 II Exclusive V6
1996 Volvo 940

Post by ekaftan »

xantia_v6 wrote:There must be about 20 cases of airbag light in the archives here, and there has never been one that was fixed by changing the airbag.

The cause seems be be evenly split between the pre-tensioner connectors under the seats, and the rotary connector behind the steering wheel.
Owner took the car to a Citroen dealer.... Guy hooks up the computer and pronounces 'Cable problem under passenger seat, half a day to fix as we replace the whole cabling for a longer more resistant one'

Based on that I am buying the car. I should do the paperwork tomorrow.

In case you are wondering, its a late 2001, late enough that it has 2002 papers. 78.000 kilometers on the clock. I am paying US$6730 ($3.500.000 chilean pesos). US$1000 over what I sold the 1994 Xantia and the 1993 BX combined.

I am happy.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

ekaftan wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote:There must be about 20 cases of airbag light in the archives here, and there has never been one that was fixed by changing the airbag.

Owner took the car to a Citroen dealer.... Guy hooks up the computer and pronounces 'Cable problem under passenger seat, half a day to fix as we replace the whole cabling for a longer more resistant one'

Based on that I am buying the car. I should do the paperwork tomorrow.

In case you are wondering, its a late 2001, late enough that it has 2002 papers. 78.000 kilometers on the clock. I am paying US$6730 ($3.500.000 chilean pesos). US$1000 over what I sold the 1994 Xantia and the 1993 BX combined.

I am happy.
my ex wifes Xsara had that....connector had been crushed by one of her er larger relatives sitting in the passenger seat
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

What need and certainty is there that he will replace the entire cabling when it can be fixed by tightening, resoldering or bypassing the plug/connector under the seat ?
There’s no mention of that here, it’s always been plug repairs.
You may be able to do that yourself, and tell him to go donde el diablo perdió el poncho.

Donde el diablo perdió el poncho = where the devil lost his poncho, meaning at the back of beyond.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389